Prologue

Nick Fury fiercely marched towards the Avengers tower, his long, worn leather jacket flapping around his ankles and floating behind him as he went. Passers by gave sideways glances and dodged out of the way at the sight of the gun in his holster and the enraged aura that surrounded him. His one visible eye was narrow, his expression cold and hard. His only focus was on the bright, high-rise building in the distance.

Upon making it to the building he stormed inside, heading to the elevator which led him to where the Earths mightiest heroes rested and played on their Xbox.

The Avengers jerked their heads up at the sight of the elevator doors opening and Director fury stepping out.

"AVENGERS..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Steve, Tony, Natasha, Thor, Clint, Bruce, Wanda, Vision, Sam, Loki, Bucky and Rhody all sat around the table in the conference room, their faces stern as they watched the footage being unveiled to them

"How many ?" Natasha asked. Her face said sympathy but her clenched fist screamed revenge.

"We lost 57 men in the attack." Fury stated, trying to keep his irritation at bay.

"-Which is 57 more than what we can afford."

"Hydra?" Steve asked, tensing up at the thought of it.

Fury nodded in response, looking around the table that he stood before, watching the expression and body language of every single avenger in the room as they heard the five letter word.

His gaze landed on Cap, whose anger boiled in his system, churning within him. He was about to speak up when Loki intervened.

"No offence Director, but what are we supposed to do now ? It's obvious you haven't found a trace otherwise you would've been in need of our assistance sooner... And it's  obvious whoever planned this assault has taken off and you know not where."

"I agree with the rock of ages-" Tony spoke. "Were avengers, not trackers. What are we supposed to do?"

"You're both right." Fury replied.

"So... That doesn't answer the question." Clint interjected.

Everyone shared the same confusion over why they hadn't been called out just after the attack had taken place and why were they being informed of a cold case instead of what their mission was.

"You see," Fury spoke. "- I don't need you to help track down Hydra's base, or the perpetrators. We already have everyone at S.H.I.E.L.D working on that. I need you for your opinion."

"'Our opinion'." Thor stated. "- I do not understand."

"Neither do I."  Natasha piped up. "- Fury ? What do you have planned ?"

Nick Fury smiled. It was only a small smile, but it was there... and it was genuine. To some it was frightening.
Everyone glanced around at each other as Fury pressed a few buttons and hologram images and footage appeared in front of them. There were charts, graphs, and previous S.H.I.E.L.D attacks from Hydra or other groups.

"The number of terrorist attacks and terrorists has spiked. The death toll on your missions are increasing. Hydra has become more ruthless with their attacks and it's getting harder for us to stop them."

"I don't see how that's something to smile about." Sam remarked.

"Trust me Wilson, that ain't what I'm smiling about."