Oddly Enough

"What am I doing in here" I whispered to myself, trailing my finger tips over the top of the dresser's dark wood. I looked around my surroundings, taking time to examine each decoration on the walls and furniture.

The room smelled like... man. Masculine, like the great outdoors compacted into one single being. The sheets of the bed were crème, the blanket on top green and dark brown. I touched the sheets, amazed that fabric could be made this soft in a time like this. The amount of time, effort, and resources that must have gone into finding the items to furnish The Penthouse was almost nauseating.

In fact, this entire city was impressive. The idea of basic electricity, fine clothing, and vehicles was beyond imaginable.

I sat on the edge of the bed, placing my clasped hands in my lap.

"Why am I in here?" I sighed again, flopping backward onto the sheets. I threw my forearm over my eyes, inhaling deeply and exhaling the same.

___________________

Fifty Years Ago

Las Vegas, Nevada

"What's your favorite color?" Gerry asked as I climbed higher into the tree.

"Green!" I yelled with a laugh as I lost my balance slightly trying to walk on a tree limb.

"Alright, alright mine is orange" he said with a laugh, preparing to catch me in case I fell.

"And you?" I inquired, questioning the solemn body resting at the base of the tree.

"Blue" Brittock said slowly.

"Wow, shocker there" I muttered, grasping a limb and letting my feet dangle above the men on the ground.

"As your choice was such a surprise?" he retorted.

"That's probably the only predictable thing about me, unlike you, Mr. Consistent to a Fault" I wrapped my legs around the limb and let go with my hands.

"You are going to kill yourself" Gerry chided.

"Not from falling" I reminded him. "Alright, if you could have any food from the good ol' days, what would it be?"

"Steak. A twelve ounce steak, grilled up with a baked potato, green beans, and Texas Style Sweet Tea" Gerry said in a dreamy tone, practically drooling.

"Texas style?" I asked.

"Oh yeah. Texas man, born and raised" he said with a nod.

"So that's what that accent every now and then is from" I stated, thinking back to all the 'y'all's' and 'ma'am's that had snuck into his sentences.

"Yes ma'am, Imma good ol' country boy. Gotta keep that accent under control though. Can't have y'all makin fun of me" he replied, letting his southern drawl loose.

"Ooo well isn't that sexy" I teased, swinging back and forth.

"Ice cream sandwich" Brittock interjected suddenly.

"What?" I asked, loosing my grip with my legs from shock. I fell out of the tree and hit the ground with a thud. "Ow... what? What did you say?" I repeated with a laugh, sitting up slowly. I had fallen across Brittock's long, outstretched legs, "sorry" I added on with a whisper, patting his legs.

"I said an ice-cream sandwich. Using chocolate chip cookies. And a mug of hot chocolate" Brittock explained again, looking at me. He appeared not to care in the least that I had landed on his limbs.

"That... is not what I was expecting" I admitted, looking at Gerry to see if he concurred.

"Yes well I used to have a bit of a sweet tooth and you said anything" Brittock looked defensive, but not angry.