The Heart

"Because I used to be him." Kanda's words shocked Allen. "I was a lab rat just like him."

"Lab rat?" Allen looked down at the sleeping Rin.

"Yes dumb ass! you haven't figured it out yet!?"

"Figured what out?" 

Kanda rolled his eyes. "Where did we find him?"

"In an old abandoned castle."

"What was in his room?"

"Nothing but a bed."

"Right." Kanda stared at him like he was supposed to understand. Allen just stared at the general blankly. Kanda rolled his eyes again. "How could he survive without food or water?"

"Someone was feeding him!" Jonney said waking up and joining the conversation.

"Yeah but who?" Allen asked.

"What did he call himself?" Kanda.

"He said that 'they' had called him seven."

"Right and what come before seven?"

"Six?"

"Right so there where six more experiments before him. The others failed and he must be their only success."

"So what where they trying to find?" Jonney and Allen asked.

Kanda stared at the child in deep thought for a few minutes. Allen and Jonney glanced at each other. They knew that Kanda was a the edge of a huge breakthrough, but they were not sure if they would like the answer.

"Damn no way," Kanda whispered. "There's no way in hell."

"What!"

"Allen what has been happening to you recently?" Kanda was still be annoyingly vague.

"Well I haven't had any problems with the 14th since we got here."

"Yes and what have we been having more problems with?"

"Well there as been more akuma recently and_"

"Right! Since we got to Ireland they have gotten more and more clustered together as we moved deeper in, but they couldn't find what they were looking for."

"They were looking for innocence!" Jonney exclaimed. "They couldn't find it but that rainbow led us right to it!"

"But what does this have to do with the 14th?"

"The power of Rin's innocence has been driving the power of the 14th down deep inside you and he hasn't been able to resurface yet."

"What is his innocence?"

During their conversation, Kanda had gotten up and started pacing. He now stopped and sat next to the sleeping boy. He gently unbuttoned the shirt that he had lent Rin and exposed his small pale chest. He then beckoned the scientist and other exorcist over.

"Feel." He commanded, gently placing his hand over the boy's heart. Jonney replaced Kanda's hand with his own and a look of shock covered his face. Allen pushed Jonney's hand aside and touched the boy's chest.

There was no heartbeat. Correction, there was something pulsing put it was not a regular heart. Waves of heat pulsed under his palm.

"His heart! The Heart?"

"I think so. I noticed it when I was carrying him earlier.  We need to take him to Hevlaska before we can say anything for sure, but I am pretty sure that Rin was part of one of the orders experiments to preserve the Heart of Innocence."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dun Dun Dun! Please vote and comment.