XVIII- CrystalCloud Ball (Deception) pt 2

The lady in the black mask did not respond, but decide to get straight to business by revealing her identity. Once her mask was off, I took a good survey of her. Her brown eyes are almond shaped, her small lips painted dark blue 'till it was almost black, unnaturally smooth, light olive  skin, high cheekbones and a tumble of long dark hair pinned up in with a raven feather clasp.

    I squint my eyes in distrust, not knowing what her business is here with me. "I shall ask again, Who are you?"

    The mysterious lady rolls her eyes as she mysteriously answers, "I go by a moniker, but you can call me Dahlia." Her voice creeps.

    I straighten up as she steps closer towards me. "I'm sorry for your dear sister. She seemed like a great woman. I heard tales of her endeavors, scouring the lands in a sense of justice."

    By the mention of Delaney, I bite on my lip, out of nostalgia...and a sharp sense of doubt. This lady seems to honor her.

    Merely wanting to test my suspicions, I ask as I meet her eyes once more "Dahlia, is it? How did you get such a pretty name?"

    She grins a small smile, a fake one. "Well, my mother happened to see a black dahlia in full bloom perched by my  nursery windowsill. She said it looked mysterious, beautiful and enchanting. That's how I got my name."

    Those would be the exact words Delaney would use to describe her favorite flower. A specific type too. I narrow my eyes. "Who is your mother? Are you a commoner?"

    'Dahlia' seemingly saddens at the mention of talking about her mother, and shifts foot to foot as she drops the sadden act, "I'm far from a commoner. My mother is a duchess, one of your many nobles in this land."

    "Will I know of her?"

    She scoffs, "No, she is not that important or well-known to be notified by the queen of Avalem." She throws the title around like she is talking about someone else yet I am fully aware she knows who she is talking to.

    "Is she? Is she here, attending the ball?"

    "Oh no. Sadly, she is on a journey across the realms to seek a vacation after working hard for a year. I'm currently looked after by a nanny." Oddly specific, but something still reeks wrong from her words. Something is definitely not right.

    "Alright. But what about you?"

    "Hmm." She hums, "I came here to enjoy the festivities like everyone else, though I didn't expect to bump into our Queen here." She smiles.

    Liar. Alright, I shall play your little game. I clear my throat, "Is that so? How have you been enjoying it?"

She give a small chortle, "It's good, traditions are still ongoing, the Ball is still fun. Though I feel-" She plays with the feathers on her mask, "- that we are forgetting something, aren't we?" She turns away from me, placing her hands on her hips, sighing mockingly.

    "Like what?" It's strange enough she drops words mysteriously, but how to play with an  not-so-innocent motive?

    "Oh, I don't really know." She turns around to face me, "How do you personally celebrate the Crystal Cloud Ball?"

    "What?"

    "Any old traditions, beliefs you uphold in this time of year? For me, I always pull out my favorite flower and twist them into a flower crown for my sister and I to wear. She would do the same for me. She usually uses lilies thought they are harder to weave with, since they are so big but every year she always does it to the best of her abilities, and they always look good. Sometimes I wonder how she does it."