Before the Downpour

Song of the Chapter: Bust a Move by Young MC (Just a great 80's song that's really upbeat and I feel Lennon would know every word to)

Warning: Unedited

___

November 6th, 1983

Hawkins, Indiana

___

"Seriously, no Corey Hart?" Lennon Hopper questioned as she bent down, flicking through the records and cassettes Nancy kept in a box on her floor.

 "Yeah, it's not really my thing." Nancy said, sitting on her bed watching Lennon scavenge for music.

"Not your thing? He's everyone's thing. Sunglasses at Night is-" Lennon rambled on before being cut off by a voice at Nancy's door.

"Hey, Len. Nancy." The girls turned to see Dustin Henderson standing in the girl's doorway, holding tight onto a box of pizza.

"There's a slice left if one of you want it." He said eagerly. Lennon knew he had a crush on Nancy, being the older sister of Dustin's friend, the two saw a lot of each other. Since Nancy and Lennon were best friends, she knew the group of kids very well. Often times, she would even babysit if their parents requested.

"Oh! What is it?" Lennon asked, standing on her toes.

"Sausage and pepperoni." He answers, his mouth spread into a big grin as he flips open the box.

"Is it cold?" Nancy asks. Lennon turns to see a disgusted look on her face.

"Uh, yeah." Dustin said, lowering the pizza box slightly.

"No thank you." Nancy says, rolling her eyes at the younger kid as she picked up a magazine from her bed-side table, beginning to flip through the pages of articles about today's top celebrities. Lennon notices his smile drop and she feels bad for the kid. She snatched her bag from the floor. Throwing the strap on her right shoulder and tugging her jean jacket down, she walks towards the boy in the doorway.

"Well I love pepperoni and sausage. Even better when it's cold. And besides, I have to get home anyway." Lennon explains, grabbing the pizza from the box, noticing Dustin's smile return once again and Nancy's annoyed glance.

"See you tomorrow, Nance!" Lennon yelled, hanging onto the doorway as she leaned.

"Bye, Len." Nancy muttered, focused on her magazine.

"C'mon, I can walk you down." She said to Dustin, throwing an arm over his shoulders as he still stood in the same place with a smile. Even though Nancy could be stuck up, he always knew he liked Lennon. The girl was like a sister, seeing as he saw her nearly everyday at the Wheeler household.

"Something's wrong with Nancy." Dustin said bluntly.

"Not exactly. She just doesn't like that we're hanging out with Steve Harrington and his friends." Lennon mentioned. Ever since she branched out to try and make new friends, both Nancy and Barb were more short-tempered. Tommy H. and Carol had a tendency to make everyone around them be overcome with a feeling of annoyance and irritation. Even Lennon wouldn't deny that, in fact, she really didn't like either of them. Sadly, they accompanied Steve Harrington and Lennon wanted to be his friend.

"Why are you?" Dustin questioned.

"Because I couldn't before, when I was dating that-"

"That ass-wipe." Dustin said causing Lennon's eyes to widen.