68

"I don't want to lose part of me, will I recover that broken piece?"

- The Other Side, Ruelle

I don't know how long I sat at James side. It was dark out now. Ned had left but Peter stayed, sitting across the room in the other chair.

I was shocked to say the least, discovering his secret. I'm just glad he was here, but we're a danger to him.

I let go of James hand, he was still unconscious so I assumed he wouldn't mind. My eyes scanned over my hands dozens of times. I just felt so different now.

I noticed that whenever my heart rate accelerated, little bits of my veins would start glowing bright red. It scared the hell out of me. I know we joked about having powers but I never thought it'd actually happen.

I faintly heard Steve talking on the phone in the other room.

"Are you sure it was her?...... No, I haven't spoken to her in years....... I don't know...... Wanda is safe, don't worry, I spoke with her the other day....... she can take care of herself, Tony-........ alright I'll go...... Goodbye."

As soon as I heard Steve walking back I hid my arms away. He went straight to the closet and pulled out a packed duffle bag.

"What are you doing?" I asked confused.

"I need to go see someone," Steve sighed dropping the bag. "It shouldn't take more than three days."

"Where are you going?" I demanded to know.

"It doesn't concern you-"

"The hell it does! James almost died!" I lashed out.

"Hey!" Steve said grabbing my shoulders. "It's complicated, I don't know what's happening, but I need you to stay here and take care of your brother, okay? He needs you right now."

"I heard you on the phone." I said much quieter, tears pooling in my eyes. "She did this... didn't she? Our mom-"

"We don't know that." Steve said quickly putting my thoughts down. "I'm gonna find her, and we're gonna figure this out. Together."

I just nodded, unable to find my voice. Steve then pulled me in closer for a tight hug. He patted my hair down and pressed his lips to the top of my head.

"I love you and your brother so much." He whispered.

"We love you too." I nodded.

He gave me a small smile, then picked up the duffle bag. I watched him walk right out the door. I hoped he actually came back. We'd never survive without him.

I remembered that Peter was still here, sitting in the other chair, just quietly observing. I sat back down next to James and looked over to him.

"You don't have to stay you know." I said.

"I know." He replied. He stood up and sat down on the floor next to me. "I want to."

That was all it took for me to smile back at him.

+

Alex and Dimitri landed back on the The Sanctuary with only little time to spare. They knew he wouldn't take their failure lightly. Their only hope was for him to have mercy on them, if he had any.

They only stopped moving for a moment to wrap up Dimitri's wounded shoulder. Then they continued their descend through the ship.

"He's going to be angry with us." Dimitri grunts, slightly in pain from his wound.

"Just let me do the talking." Alex mumbled, a little annoyed.

"If you say so." He replied smugly.

The pair walked in sync side by side through the halls. Finally they came to the two large black sliding doors.

They stopped in front of them, and after a moment a pressurized doors let out a puff of steam, then slid wide open.

Proxima and Corvus were already there, standing in wait. However, the chair had its back turned to them.

Alex and Dimitri entered, and then stopped right below the steps leading to the throne. The two took out their swords making them perpendicular to the floor while they both got down on one knee.

They bowed their heads to the floor and waited for him to speak.

"You reek of failure..." His deep voice grunted, with his back still turned to us.

"There was a minor complication..." Alex spoke as steadily as she could with her head still down.

"A minor complication? That's all?" He chuckled teasingly.

Thanos finally turned in his chair, his face showing no signs of cheer. Alex looked up, but didn't dare stand.

"Tell me... why did I send you back to midgard, that waste of a civilization you came from?" He demanded.

"Because I knew the land best, sir." Alex answered.

"Exactly." He smiled, but then in an instant that smile completely disappeared. "So why have you returned to me- EMPTY HANDED!" Thanos roared.

Alex stood up at once and sheathed her sword.

"He was more powerful than we anticipated! He has the power of the Mind stone at his hand, he overpowered us-" Alex tried to reason with him.

"Which is why he should've sent us to fetch the stone in the first place." Proxima seethed.

Alex turned to her with a glare. "No one knows Midgard like I do. You don't know the humans, the lengths they will go to protect each other-"

"So I return to my original question!" Thanos boomed. "Why have you returned empty handed?"

"The stone gives him an advantage, but now I know how to counter it." Alex said. "There's a girl on Midgard, she is capable of controlling him and the stone. All I need to do is acquire her powers, then I will pry the stone out myself-"

"And what if you can't?" Corvus said. "You already failed once-"

"Do not underestimate me!" Alex sneered back.

"I'll bring you the stone this time, I swear on my life." Alex said looking back to Thanos.

"Good." Thanos says with a content stare. "Because if you return again empty handed, you will pay with your life." He threatened. "Understood?"

"Yes, father." Alex replied.

+

Oooh.... writing this kinda gave me chills 😯

Let me know what you guys think??? Am I doing okay so far?