Part II: Hunted

Olivia gasped, but before another scream could escape, Raj clamped a stifling hand over her mouth and shoved her into his office. He glared into her eyes and snarled a single word: "Quiet."

She was trembling in terror, but when she nodded her assent, he released her. He indicated a red leather chair facing the desk, and growled, “sit.” Olivia didn't want to obey his command, but her legs gave way and down she went. He seated himself behind the desk.

“What, exactly, were you doing,” Raj demanded. Olivia stammered, her voice no louder than a whisper. “I j-just came to see P-Paul—um, M-Mr. Lancer…”

“Yes, and you saw him. You saw he was busy," the security chief sneered. "Did you enjoy what you saw?” Olivia paused, struggling to understand. Did Raj not know what Paul was? He seemed disdainful, amused. But what she had seen—the word vampire flapped franticly around her brain like a trapped bird. How could that be?

Maybe he had been role playing. The fangs? Some people had implants, like the bartender with the horn. But he hadn't had fangs the other night. False teeth? She had seen really good fakes throughout the past few Halloweens, ones that fit over real teeth and were all but indistinguishable from natural enamel. What about his face? A mask? She tried to figure out a logical explanation for it. Besides, no matter how good a costume was, he had bitten the girl. The blood coming from her throat couldn't have been faked...could it? Suddenly, she realized Raj was speaking to her.

“Miss Hunter. Are you listening? I asked you a question. What is in the envelope?”

She locked her gaze with his. The anger was gone from his eyes, replaced by something else, something undefinable and surprisingly attractive. His eyes were quite piercing, a lot like Paul's, and Olivia found herself pulled into them. She felt very confused, as if fog was filling her brain. She tried to recall a detail of what she had thought was so important, so terrifying that she had to escape from. But just as she seemed to have it, her memories swam away and faded into nothingness.  Her fear was also subsiding, vanishing into an abyss that left only a slight pressure in her chest: Disappointment.

She was so disappointed...she had come to see Paul, but he was busy. According to Raj he was in an emergency meeting and could not be disturbed. The photos, she faintly remembered. The photos were the important thing. She would leave them with Raj. He could be trusted.

“Some of the photos I took last night,” she said distantly, holding out the packet. “I thought Paul might enjoy prints.”

He waved dismissively. “Very well, Miss Hunter. I will pass them along. Put them on my desk. You may go now.”

Olivia placed the envelope as told, then rose mechanically and exited without a single word. She made her way through the club and directly to the front door, brushing across the crowded dance floor without consciously avoiding contact, yet never slowing, stepping around bodies instinctively. This detail was not lost on the observant Nina who watched Olivia's sleepwalk-like progress from the DJ booth.  And she was not the only employee who noted the woman's robotic state; as she passed through the clubs doors with the barest acknowledgment, the doorman and bouncer exchanged knowing glances. Raj at work. Or maybe Paul?

From his office vantage point, Paul smiled to himself. Olivia all but poured herself from the club. He had known she was there the whole time—he could see her, smell her, and hear her heart beat. It had been so fast, and her breath so shallow and quick with desire. That pleased him.

He turned back to his guest. The bite mark had been quickly healed with a bit of his own blood, and a car was already waiting to take her home.

Once she was safely off, he paid a visit to the security office. His knock elicited a low growl from inside. He entered and chuckled in amusement at Raj's angry expression.