Chapter 1

"Don't freak out, it's going to be fine." I whispered under my breath.

I again attempted to enter S.H.I.E.L.D, but the same as the past half hour, I turned on my heel and walked a safe six feet away. I stomped my foot, why couldn't I just go in there. I had been called, or summoned, or . . .whatever. Point was I had to be in that building in, I paused, checking my watch. Five minutes. I have to be in, oh god. I stepped a foot forward, now just a few hundred more.

I counted them as I entered the building. Fifteen to the elevator. I clumsily pulled out the card I had been given, and slid it across the card reader. It beeped and the doors shut. I stood, my stomach in my throat as the elevator kept dinging.
Why was it taking so long. I should have only been in here a few seconds, which was now going on thirty. Finally it stopped and I stepped out onto a platform. It was on top of the building. I held in the screech that threatened to claw out of my mouth. I hated heights.

In my panic I hadn't noticed the helicopter sitting on the pad. It's blades just beginning to turn. I noticed Fury, his face pulled into a tight smile. I forced my legs forward. It felt like my shoes had been melted to the hard cement. It felt like eternity before I was standing at the ready before him.

He offered a hand, and I shakily took it. He had a certain gleam in his good eye that I wasn't used to seeing.

"We've been waiting Sarah, get in the helicopter." He said, as my stomach fell to the deepest part of myself.

"Oh." I swallowed, gripping my cold fingers, "yes, sir."

I climbed into the open doored helicopter. My knees quivering. I looked through the partially hidden window on the door of the helicopter and realized it was blacked out. We couldn't see out, but people could see in.

I sat down, gripping one of the hanging handles and pushed my face into the crook of my elbow. Hiding my view of the helicopter itself. I just heard the propellers, and the lightness that came from flying.

I could feel the blood leaving my hand from being forced into the air for so long. I struggled to let go, but eventually my fingers were pried from the bar. I didn't realize i had fallen asleep until I had to rub my eyes to focus on the cabin of the helicopter. The sick feeling returned to my stomach again, but I ignored it.

I looked around, Fury sat across from me. He was looking at the blacked out window with such concentration. I wonder what he could see. Two guards were with us, one holding a peculiar weapon. Not a gun, but a large recurve bow.

I could feel as we started to drop from altitude. My fear began to ebb. I licked my lips and pulled at a loose strand of hair. As soon as the engine shut off and the doors opened I was out. I had cleared the helicopter blades before they could help the other three out. I stretched my legs and arms. Taking in the deep scent of the pine forest surrounding us.

"Pine?" I asked, turning to look at Fury.

He nodded, half ignoring me as he talked to the bowman. I took a good look, the sun now fading. A small house sat in front of me and I felt an itching feeling to flee into the woods. I didn't know why, but I felt I would never be the same if I entered that building.

As though sensing my thoughts the other guard gripped my shoulder and escorted me into the building. It looked run down on the outside, but as we stepped inside. I stood shocked, the inside looked like stepping into the future. White everything, except the occasional colored object like a painting. I heard someone set down some heavy bags, and I turned. The guard had taken his mask off. Blonde short cropped hair was the first thing I noticed.

He gave me a slight disapproving look and turned to Fury. Fury seemed proud for some reason. He stepped forward and pushed one of the heavy bags towards me.

"Everyone else is sleeping, so pick your room and be quiet." He said, his voice deep and commanding, "Tony is here this week Clint, so you know."