6 | How Long is Forever?

Based on the prompt: "We're growing up."
and my own feelings, of course.

It was midnight and Elyssa just couldn't sleep. Sure, it had been years since she became best friends with Kirsten, but she just couldn't stop thinking of their friendship.

It was depressing how friendship could break easily. Elyssa never doubted their friendship, but knew that breaking apart could happen with one mistake.

Elyssa looked at her phone, deciding whether or not to call Kirsten. Kirsten was in college now, and she needed rest. But, Elyssa really wanted to call Kirsten and tell her how much she missed her.

Elyssa looked out her bedroom window and at the stars in the sky. There weren't much, stars in California weren't the best sight to see, but it was calming.

She didn't know why she was so worked up about her friendship with Kirsten. They were best friends, nothing could go wrong, right?

But then again, it had happened so many times. She became best friends with each other and one mistake she made tore them apart.

Kirsten was different. Elyssa knew this, but the unsettling feeling came back to her. She needed confirmation. She wanted to hear from Kirsten that she would never leave her, never abandon their friendship because of one mistake.

But Elyssa made so many mistakes, how could Kirsten ever accept someone who kept hurting people, who kept being a coward?

Elyssa gave into her temptation and dialed the number she knew well into her head. It was midnight, but it was worth the shot.

A few rings later, Kirsten's voice was heaed through the phone. "'Ello?"

Of course, Elyssa just had to wake Kirsten up. What a mistake.

"Sorry, did I wake you up?" Elyssa asked, immediately regretting her decision to call Kirsten at midnight.

"Nope," Kirsten says, popping the 'p' like she had gone through this conversation before. "I was doing homework. Something wrong?"

Elyssa let out a shaky breath before she answered. "I just missed you."

Kirsten laughs at this, leaving Elyssa confused. "We just saw each other three days ago, but that's understandable. I miss you too, Lyssa."

Elyssa smiled at the nickname. "Do you want to go to the park or something?"

"At midnight? Do you want to get kidnapped?"

"No, I just.. need someone."

There was silence on the other end, until a light chuckle was heard.

"You mean you want to see me? Don't use excuses if you want to see me, I'll come right over."

Elyssa looked at her phone, astonished. "How did you know?"

"Remember, I can read people. You're very easy to read, Lyssa."

Elyssa chuckled at Kirsten's answer, she should've known.

"So, want me to come over?" Kirsten asked. Elyssa heard paper getting stuffed into a bag on Kirsten's end of the call, but decided to ignore the sounds.

"Please."

"Be there in a few."

———

Kirsten smiled at her best friend as she answered the door. Kirsten didn't know why Elyssa decided to call her at midnight of all times, but if she wanted to see her, it must've been important.

Kirsten collapsed on Elyssa's bed and patted a spot next to her, signaling Elyssa to lay down with her.

"Having chipmunk troubles?" Kirsten asked, a smirk obvious in her voice.

Elyssa groaned and put a pillow to her head in embarrassment. "Noooooo oh my godddddd"

Kirsten laughed silently at Elyssa's reaction and pulled a blanket onto the two.

"Why'd you suddenly call me, Lyssa? Yes, I missed you, but you don't normally call out of the blue."

Elyssa shifted as Kirsten asked the question. "I wanted confirmation."

Kirsten nodded. "On?"

Elyssa looked up at Kirsten and smiled slightly. "Will we be best friends forever?"

"Depends, how long is forever?"

Elyssa forced a smile, just to tell Kirsten that she seemed to understand what she had just said.

"I've just been thinking," Elyssa started, carefully trying not to say something that could be the end of their friendship right there and then. "Not that I doubt you, but we're growing up, Kirsten. Things will change, people will change, and friendships will too. I don't want to lose you, like I've lost so many other people because we drifted away. I would fight the whole world just to be best friends with you, and god, I wouldn't let our friendship end. But it could end, so quickly, that I—"

"Elyssa."

Elyssa noticed that tears were coming out of her eyes slowly and looked at Kirsten, who smiled at her. "Don't worry, I won't leave you. Our friendship is strong, we haven't really had a fight, and I love you a lot. Don't ever think differently, don't ever think that your mistakes will cause our friendship to end."

Elyssa embraced Kirsten and cried while Kirsten patted her back. Kirsten had also wanted to cry, to scream that she would never leave Elyssa, but deep inside, she knew Elyssa was right.

They were growing up. It was only a matter of time until someone messed up their friendship. Kirsten never wanted to admit it, but she knew it was true.

So, Kirsten decides that even if their friendship could end in a snap, she would stay with Elyssa, through thick and thin. If they didn't love each other, they would still stay together.

"Kirsten?" Elyssa asks after a few moments of her cries dying down.

"Yeah?"

"I love you."

Kirsten didn't hesitate once she found her answer. "I love you too."

Kirsten noticed that Elyssa was asleep, and starting stroking her hair (of course kirsten did this because she knew how much elyssa liked it >;ccccc).

Maybe forever could end right then and there, so Kirsten decided to cherish her moments with Elyssa. She knew Elyssa was doing the same, falling asleep in your best friend's arms must've meant that you were trustworthy.

Growing up doesn't mean forever lasts less, it means that forever is seen to last a lifetime and beyond.