Wishes

Juliette Ericson stared at the very handsome young man who had his hands deep in his pockets. He was staring at the ground, unaware that Juliette was watching him. Studying him. She noted the way that he hopped from foot to foot nervously. She wondered why. Why was he nervous?

     A car rounded the corner loudly which made the young man look up. As he did so, he noticed her watching him. It was Juliette's turn to face the ground now. She had been caught looking at him. She felt oddly exposed in the sunlight. She wrapped her arms around herself, trying to cover up.

     Muffled voices came from down the street. Juliette glanced up and saw the young man had disappeared. She frowned. She hadn't heard him walking away. As the voices got louder, she surprisingly found one very familiar. 

     "Hey Julie!" He shouted. He was a few feet away from her. She couldn't pretend she didn't hear him, he was standing right there.

     "Oh hey," she mumbled, looking up and staring into his wonderful, but spooky, blue eyes. His eyes have haunted her dreams ever since that night. Goose bumps formed on her arms as she thought about it. 

     "How've you been?" He asked, cracking a grin. Juliette rolled her eyes and stepped away from him. She knew what he was doing. And unluckily for him, it wasn't working. Not this time. Not again.

     "Go away, Trent," she said sternly. She needed to sound demanding, like she was in control. If she showed any sign of weakness or fear, he'd pounce. He's like a lion hunting its prey. Just waiting for the right moment before jumping out from the tall grass and attacking. 

     Trent sighed. "Fine, but you still owe me," he snapped. The mood had changed. Instead of him trying to seduce her once more, he was frightening her. He was trying to make her remember that night when everything had gone so horribly wrong.

     Juliette closed her eyes. She knew he was winning. "Go," she said finally, and opened her eyes. "Just get out of here Trent," 

     Surprisingly, he did what she said. He turned to face his group of friends, which, surprisingly, hadn't said a word. "Let's go boys," he declared. The group turned around and followed their leader. Juliette watched them until they disappeared around the corner.

     "Who was that?" 

     Juliette spun around. She was staring into the most gorgeous eyes ever. They were dark green, with, surprisingly, a shade of violet. The eyes belonged to the young man from across the street. He was standing there, his hands in his pockets once more. She gasped for breath. "You scared me," she stated.

     The young man chuckled. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to," he apoligised. "But I think that guy is a little," he paused. "Strange,"

     Juliette laughed. "He is," she agreed. Then she snapped her mouth shut. "I mean, he's an alright guy and everything," 

     The stranger laughed. "Is he an ex?" Juliette didn't know the answer. Were they dating? Was going to that place on that night a date? Surely not, seeing as everything was terrible. The way things changed so quickly...

     "No," she said finally. "No we're just friends," she held out her hand. "I'm Juliette," she smiled. The stranger took his hand out of his pocket and shook her hand. 

     "Spencer," his hand was nice and warm against hers. Maybe it was from his hands being in his pockets, or perhaps his hands were always this warm. Juliette wanted to find out. 

     There was an awkward silence in the air. Spencer had moved his hands back to his pockets and Juliette felt oddly cold. She wanted to feel his warmth.