Snow

Akise Aru loved snow.

Winter was one of his favorite times of year. There was Christmas, yes, and there was also the fact that it helped out tremendously with his cases. It was harder for criminals to cover their tracks, thus making his job easier.

Although, it did get pretty boring at times.

Akise stepped outside, breathing in he cold air. He stepped off his front porch, careful to not slip on the thin layer of ice that settled over it.

"Ah! Akise-kun!" a voice said, sounding eager. Akise turned and saw a teen with brown hair, indigo eyes and wearing an orange beanie. This was Yukiteru Amano, a best friend of Akise's. A small, mysterious smile graced his lips at the sight of the brunette, and he waved back. Yukki ran up to him, blowing out through his mouth, his breath visible.

"Hello Yukiteru-kun." Akise replied, putting his hands in his pockets. "Wonderful weather we're having, isn't it?"

Yukki chuckled in response, laugh coming in short puffs. "Yeah, I guess so. It's so cold though."

Akise smiled and closed his eyes. As he was about to say something else, he suddenly found his face shoved into the snow.

"Hey Yukki!" A cheery someone answered, now standing next to the boy. She also had brown hair, along with brown eyes. This was Hinata Hino, one of Akise's friends. She slung her arm around Yukki, not seeming to notice the albino on the ground. She smiled and Yukki stuttered a bit in his greeting. "H-hey Hinata."

"Oh, are you alright there, Akise-kun?" Another voice said, this one shyer than the first. It was a girl with long, light purple hair and teal eyes. This was Mao Nonosaka, another one of Akise's friends.

Akise sighed. "I'm quite alright, but thank you Mao-san."

Hinata finally looked down at the snow, where Akise was now standing. "Oh! Sorry, Akise-kun." She reached over to dust a small but of snow off the other's jacket. He sighed and pushed her hand away. "It's alright."

Akise sighed. When he had asked for a new winter coat for his birthday, he hadn't counted on it being white. Uryuu-san and her fiance, Nishijima-san, had gotten him a white winter coat with a white hat and boots. Nishijima-san had said it came in a set, and was the only one in his size that he would like.

He sighed. The only thing on him that wasn't white were the black gloves on his hands, which were usually shoved in his pockets. That combined with his pale skin and off-white hair, didn't really help anything.

"So, where are you two heading to?" Hinata asked, taking her arm back from around Yukki. Akise shrugged while Yukki smiled softly.

"I was just walking back to my house after dropping off something at Deus'," he said. "Akise-kun and I had plans after this, so he joined me."

"Ah, I see," Hinata replied, crossing her arms over her purple coat. "Would you mind if we tagged along? We're going back to Mao's house." Said girl nodded, and in answer the two boys shrugged. "Sure."

The four walked along the sidewalk, Akise and Yukki in the front, the girls in the back, talking about the first thing that popped into their head, which happened to be the time that there was a break-in at their friend Kosaka Ouji's place.

And speak of the devil, he shall come.

"Hey!" Kosaka yelled as he threw a snowball which hit the back of Yukki's head.

"Kosaka!" Mao shouted in surprise while turning around, and Hinata followed. Akise turned to Yukki and assessed his well-being.

Kosaka only smirked and threw another snowball at the two girls. They both dodged by swinging to the side and the snowball ended up hitting Akise right in the ear. Kosaka growled.