This is not Pretty Woman 3

Typing on my laptop, my eyes were fixated on the important email I was about to sent to a business partner. I only had a few more minutes until my next appointment and I wanted to get as much work done as possible while I was in New York.

Being back in the big city felt strange. Six months had gone by since the last time I had visited the Big Apple. My last stay in the city had been very eventful. Eventful due to a certain brunette with unforgettable green eyes that were still haunting me. After returning to Miami, Lauren and I had kept in touch for two weeks until she had disappeared. All my efforts to get in touch with her had failed and I had accepted that I wasn't going to hear from her again.

Now that I was back, there was a little voice in my head that told me to go look for her. The rational part of my brain said, I shouldn't look for someone who didn't want to be found. After all, she had made it very clear that she wasn't ready for...whatever it was we had shared.

My train of thought was interrupted when I heard my assistant Amy's voice louder than usual. Was she arguing with someone outside? Next thing I knew, my door was flung open which startled me almost to point where I'd knock over my water.

"You can't just go in!" Amy cried out clearly agitated but my heart dropped when I saw the women standing next to my assistant.

Lauren looked exactly the way she had when I had first seen her in the bar. The big leopard print coat enveloped her body so all I was able to see were the black boots on her ankles. Her outfit wasn't the thing I focused on. Those damn green eyes paralyzed me for a second. I couldn't say anything. Hell, I couldn't even stand up from my chair while the two women argued. They didn't really argue since Lauren simply stared at me in silence while Amy was freaking out.

It wasn't until Amy said she was going to call security that I regained my ability to speak.

"No, that's okay," I said and had both women stare at me. "She's um...a friend."

My assistant looked very confused. Her gaze wandered from her to me several times as if she couldn't comprehend we knew each other.

"It's fine, Amy. Thank you," I added politely before the door was closed and I found myself alone with Lauren in my office. Finally getting up, I was unsure on how to greet her. In fact, I was unsure of everything at the moment since this was the last thing I had expected to happen.

"This is quite the surprise," I said honestly and watched as she approached my desk. "How did you find me?"

"I have my ways," the raspy voice answered cryptically.

"I don't know if I should be flattered or scared," I attempted to joke but Lauren didn't respond. Instead, she walked around my desk until she was standing next to me, looking out of the big windows.

"I've never been this high up," she revealed whereas I was used to being in office spaces like the 49th floor where were in now. "I always wondered what was going in these offices where no one could see."

"It's not that exciting really," I replied and found her eyes darting away from the window and to me.

"You can sit down," Lauren said in an unreadable tone, but I did it.

I had barely sat down on my chair when Lauren stepped closer, pushed my laptop away and took a seat on my desk right in front of me. My eyes widened, and I gulped heavily. I couldn't figure out why she had this toll on me, but it was thrilling and terrifying all at once.

"I um...have an appointment in a few minutes," I barely got out.

"Cancel it," her response was quick and just as nonchalant as everything else.