Gold, blood, and royals

I held the ring in my palm and examined it
It was a small silver dragon with ruby eyes, I slid the ring on to my long, thin fingers and the small dragon seemed to come alive! He waved his tiny tail and batted his wings before tightly wrapping himself around my finger.
"This is your new friend" Death said "he is your key to the other realms, the realms of mystery and magic, the realms where we draw our power."
"Now, this is the book of enchantments that you will need in order to succeed at your job, here is the first spell you'll need to know" he said pointing at the page written in a strange language I'd never seen before.
But suddenly the words on the page became clear to me
"tangunt me involvam" I whispered while running my hands along the page.
"Oh wonderful! You can read it!!!!" Death laughed cheerfully
"What do I do now?" I asked
"You take your first life." He said grimly
"Like, That......that spell? That kills?" I stammered, shocked and confused.
"You do not kill, you take life without killing" he explained
"Oh."
"Now we must return to the world of the living..." Death said reaching out his hand and placing it in mine. He whispered something under his breath and the world around us began to spin and we left the dark room and returned to the bridge.
A small boy was running by and laughing while his mother chased after him, cigarette in hand, the young boy and then the mother ran right through us.
"W-what the-"
"We're not living we don't take up space, we have no bodies" death explained
"Okay but like, a kid just ran through me"
"Yes, he did, but we have a person to find and kill." Death hurried us along to a small brick house and we walked in through the wall.
We hovered up towards a bedroom on the second floor.a quiet, middle aged woman sat on the bed.
"I've been expecting you, my friends" she said, her voice raspy and dry.
"Well then you know why we're here" Death said in a calm and low voice, very calm and nice, but still grim and serious.
"Alice, could you do the honours?" Death asked.
I nodded and took the woman's hand.
"tangunt me involvam" I said and the small dragon on my hand send a black mist around the woman and her body fell lifeless onto her bed, her spirit sat still on the bed still holding my hand and she smiled
"Welcome to your next life" I said, just as I had rehearsed back in, well... hell.
We stayed holding hands as death brought us back to the underworld,when we returned, death lead the woman through a door and we never saw her again.
"Where did she go?" I asked Death
"The realm of the dead"
"That seems like a dismal place"
"It is, every Death starts there, after their training is complete of course."
"Well I'm definitely looking forward to it" I said sarcastically "sounds like so much fun"