Chapter Seventeen

1868, the Dawrey Ocean

Adelyn dreamt of magic, beautiful and terrifying all at the same time. She dreamt of a witch with clawed fingernails and poison in her blood, the same blood than ran through Adelyn's veins. It was the kind of dream that was supposed to jolt her awake, but no matter how much she wanted to, she would not wake.

Finally, her dream faded, and Adelyn found herself trapped. Someone hit her chest, and Adelyn gasped, her lungs grateful for the air. She coughed and heaved, her throat struggling to rid herself of salt water and breathe all at the same time. Finally she settled, her eyes closed and her back laid flat against the hard wood beneath her. She was alive.

After a long moment, she opened her eyes, looking up to find Nikolai kneeling over her. He did nothing to mask his concern, but that wasn't the first thing she noticed. It was the sky, a shimmering blue with a blinding sun, and no sign of the storm that had hid them. She almost laughed. It had worked. For now, the danger had passed.

Nik let out a heavy breath, dropping back onto his heels. His eyes closed, and he tilted his head, as if saying a prayer. Adelyn pushed herself so she sat up. Her body felt tired and foreign, every movement was a struggle, as though her arms had ben packed full of weights.

Nik shook his head, "That was stupid."

"It worked, didn't it?" Adelyn said, swallowing. Her throat was dry and raw, wrecked by salt and coughing. Her voice was raspy and cracked, barely comprehensible.

Nikolai's clothes were just as wet as hers, sticking to his skin. He kicked his feet out from under him, resting back on his hands. The crew, though they'd been crowded around the two of them before, had dispersed, back to their positions on deck.

Nikolai scowled, "You could have died."

"Obviously I didn't."

"The only reason you didn't was because I jumped in after you." Nik said. His voice was accusing, laced with anger. Adelyn was almost afraid of it. Of him. "Damnit. You're the key to all of this— you're not exactly expendable."

Adelyn frowned, unable to help feeling like an object. It was a feeling she didn't like. She swallowed, pushing herself to her feet and ringing her hair out next to her. A puddle formed on the deck by her feet.

Nikolai sighed, "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine." Adelyn replied. She felt tired and upset and a bruise was likely taking root on her chest, but she figured Nikolai didn't need to know all that. She forced a smile. "I'm going to go sleep the near-death thing off."

"Yeah, sure." Nik laughed, his eyes not on her, but on the water behind her. Adelyn couldn't help but notice the happy glint in them, as though he were looking out at a dream. "You might want to take a look at that first.

Slowly, Adelyn turned on her heels. In the distance, an island could be seen above the ocean's surface. A mountain of green shrubbery, sandy beaches, and a forest of trees between them. Adelyn's breath hitched. It looked beautiful, but the feeling that settled in her stomach upon the sight of it was anything but.

"Is that—"

"The First Witch's island."

Nikolai said, pulling a page out of his back pocket. The torn paper was damp and ripped, but Adelyn was still able to recognize Nik's father's drawing. It looked exactly like the island before them. They'd found it.

Adelyn looked down at her palm, at the arrow that pointed right at it. She shook her head softly, "I don't believe it."

High up on the mast above them, one of the men stood on the wooden post and yelled out "land, ho.". Adelyn felt lost, as though she'd missed a step along the way and had somehow still managed to cross the finish line. The water was bluer than blue, and the sun beat down on them in intense rays. It was as though they'd stepped into another planet. She'd never once seen a prettier view.