Prologue

I start running. And I'll admit, I'm not very fast, however, I caught them by surprise so I should have some kind of lead even if they do have longer, faster legs than I do. I want to look back and see if they're running after me like I expect them to do, though I tell myself not to. I need to focus on running.

The terrain is full of trees, and I find it difficult to weave through them even with my slim figure. The trunks are large and extend up for what seems like miles. I can't see the treetops, but then again, I'm not truly paying attention to them all that much. I'm running far too quick for anything to be much more than a blur to me, and the darkness of the night leaves almost nothing in sight that isn't within a one-foot radius of my eyes.

My breath is coming out of my mouth quicker than it ever has, and my chest has a burning sensation building in it, but I continue anyway. I don't know where my ultimate destination goal is, still I'm determined to get out of this place, at least. I've never been to this area of the small country leaving me to rely on the only thing I have left—my clairvoyance.

I pray that while conjuring the image of my surroundings which took tons of focus and energy I could still run like hell. I don't want to mess up my only shot at freedom. Luckily, I have the image of the area in my mind quite quickly. There is only one problem with this image. There is a wall. I hadn't thought of that possibility in my adrenaline-fueled longing for an escape.

Putting all my focus back on running I decide that I need to make a choice. Immediately. I'd either run to the main gates and conclusively get caught due to the heavy guarding or climb a tree and jump the wall risking some kind of injury. Obviously the latter would ensure long term safety, even if I did end up getting hurt.

I feel I was nearing the wall. I mean, how could I be running this long and not have encountered it? The tree branches here weren't thick, but I pray that they would hold my weight for the few seconds I need to rest on them. I jump onto a low branch of a nearby tree while grasping the trunk with my arms. The bark stucco's out at awkward angles causing my arm to get a few scrapes. I thank the Gods that the trees are close-knit and I don't need to jump between branches—just climb fast and zealously.

I grab a high branch with my right hand and swing over to a small branch. As I step on it I became cautious. I have to make a decision this second. I was either stepping on this branch and risking it breaking or moving backwards and finding another way up. Both options are terrifying as the men chasing me are right under the trees. I am only a few feet above the ground and they have all kinds of weapons if I make the wrong choice.

I step on the branch for a split second while reaching my arms to the next branch and know I've made a mistake. The branch makes a loud crunch, but I stay silent as I fall with it, dragging down every piece of wood I grab on the way down. I cry out in my head, knowing I'm almost surely going to be doomed.

I thud to the ground, leaning on my right side and try to stand up but am disoriented from the far fall. I push myself to start running again but have my feet kicked from under me. The wind is knocked out of me as I hit the ground. I didn't have enough time to brace myself for the fall with my arms. I groan. They pin me down and have a cloth shoved in my face before I can react.