The Girl with No Name

*** UNEDITED ***

“After school, Dereks,” Snarled the ceramics teacher, whose face had somehow deepened in colour from a violent shade of beetroot to a disturbingly gruesome hue of burgundy. The pulse of multiple veins threatened to burst under his thin membrane of skin. “And anyone, who flicks clay at me again, will be joining him.”

Jay Dereks stuffed his clay covered fist in his mouth, his face as well, was mimicking the colour of Mr Barn’s flawlessly, though not from rage, but laughter and possible lack of oxygen.

“Five bucks if you can get it in his moustache, again.” Whispered a boy with blue eyes, as he shoved a small ball of wet clay into Jay’s fisted palm. Jay shook his head and pushed the lump of soggy clay away, still stifling silent fits of laughter while his body quivered in hysterics. “Aw, come on mate. I would but you’ve got the best aim.”

Again, Jay shook his head in a silent refusal to the dare. One after school was bad enough, he didn’t want to be stuck at school on a Sunday washing the marshal’s car. The boy with blue eyes grumbled under his breath as he picked up what was left of the waterlogged hunk of clay and dropped it on the pale blue cement floor.

The bell sounded for the end of period six, the only thing that stopped the seven hundred and fifty-two high school students from escaping the grasp of the school day, was the home time bell, which was due to ring merrily in the next mere five minutes.

There was a hurried rush of zips, crunches, bangs and scrapes as the ceramics room was swept clean, chairs were placed on top of tables and books were gathered all in one practised movement. Mr Barn surveyed the class, “Simon, Dole, tuck your shirts in, Dereks stay behind, the rest of you may leave.”

The rest of the class fled the stuffy ceramics room, all twenty-four pupils squashed and squeezed together to try and fit through the small door all at once. Jay sighed, as he pulled his chair back down from the table.