2. Death Of A Unicorn

Chapter two: Death of a Unicorn

Ann flipped through the first module of History of Media. She couldn't wait for the classes to begin and also for the meds to get rid of the last pathogen in her. It was the fifth day and finally, she was feeling better.

She looked around her room searching for a notebook to make notes when she realised she would have to hunt for the treasure in the sea of utter mess in the dim lit room with faded green walls, red curtains drawn in leaving behind an eerie shadow of red, a small wardrobe enough for her insignificant collection of band tees, jeans, merchandise and her unicorn plushy.

She was engrossed in a fierce battle between leaving cleaning for tomorrow or to do it today before she got busy with her classes and workshops when she heard dishes being smashed.

Not to confused with being a miser, but buying dishes for the household did cost some fortune to Ann, so it was natural she leapt out of her bed (in spite of having a study table, there was no room for a chair) and rushed to the scene where she saw shattered dishes, batteries and a broken TV remote adorning the wooden floor with two ladies screaming in an uncensored language which Ann's brain had to filter before registering.

"Stop it! Please, those dishes you just broke away, was from my money..." Ann's voice got drowned in the full-fledged battle of words between her two flatmates, Becky and Jac.

"I CANNOT AND WILL NOT SHARE A ROOM WITH YOU!" announced the owner of brown, frizzed hair; Becky Cooper.

"YOU ANN, WILL SHARE THE ROOM WITH ME. LET THIS MORON ROT IN THAT SPACE TOO SMALL TO BE CALLED A ROOM." Jac shouted in a bit loudly.

"SURE, AT LEAST THERE I CANNOT SEE THE LIKES OF YOU," Becky replied in a higher pitch.

Ann decided to physically intervene before her ears bleed and she loses her private space. She jumped towards the quarrelling couple, playing dodge with the shattered dishes on the floor and pulled apart the two cats whose paws were only inches apart from each other's neck.

"What happened? Let's communicate in a more humane manner. Sit on the couch and beware of the... never mind." Ann practically had to drag those two to the couch like a suitcase and force them to sit on a couch.

"Rationally, tell me one by one what happened. Since B comes before J, we will start with Becky" Ann said slowly as one would reply to a toddler.

"She finished my two months worth ramen stalk in less than a month." Becky glared at Jac. Those instant ramens were for midnights which she would spend religiously studying like a good medical student.

"She talks about ramen, they anyway would have gone bad in less than two months. I couldn't deal with her horrible food; she wastes so many resources and food. I decided she would pay for my food. That is nothing Ann, she used up my make up kit and broke my favourite chapstick." Jac defended.

"MY HORRIBLE FOOD! At least, I asked before borrowing. You indecent, little wretch didn't even ask." Beck said fiercely.

"Look, it's okay. Jac pays up for the ramen, Becky you pay up for the chapstick and both if you PAY UP FOR THE DISHES! Problem solved." Ann decided upon the easiest solution. But the war wasn't going to end soon.

Becky couldn't believe how peaceful Ann seemed. This was not about money; it was about ownership and privacy. She pushed aside Ann who was already weak due to flu and rushed into the kitchen. She was scouting for something and was evidently fuming in rage.

"I am so BLOODY GONNA KILL YOU!" Becky charged towards Jac with a knife, momentarily stunned, both Ann and Jac simply stared at Becky who was seething with pure rage. Jac was the first one to come back to her senses since she was visibly unarmed in the battle which had gotten a lot serious and today somebody was going to die. She rushed into Ann's room so that she could close the door and buy herself some time.