Chapter 24: The Missing Pieces

This chapter is dedicated to Cherikella for her birthday.

𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷

"Come on Ana," a voice whispered. "Hold on just a while longer."
"Fight it!" another voice said. I didn't know what they meant or what they were referring to. I just knew I was so cold and so tired.
"I'm not sure how much longer she's got. I've done all I've can. It's up to her now. His majesty had best get here soon..." The voice faded away after that.

I was back in that darkness, hearing only voices but unable to see or figure out who they belonged to. Someone's hand was on my forehead and the warmth of it had me drawing closer. Why was I so cold? I felt myself cough but didn't actually hear it. The pain resonating through my body was the only other indication of it. I kept coughing and I couldn't catch my breath. My lungs, chest, throat, and even head hurt as a result.

When I finally stopped, I tried to get some sweet air but nothing came. I wasn't able to get enough and I felt myself choking. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get get the air my lungs desperately needed. I was suffocating and there was nothing I could do to stop it. My lungs hurt and I could literally feel myself fading away. I was choking to death.

I tried once more but knew it was useless. My mind became fogging and I felt lightheaded. I knew it was because my brain wasn't getting the air it needed. Even in my state I knew I was on my last leg and dying. That was my last thought before the pain disappeared and I felt my eyes slip close.
"Ana!" I heard someone cry and then I knew no more.

Suddenly, I was breathing in much needed air. It was refreshing and it no longer hurt my lungs. In fact, nothing hurt anymore. I didn't know what happened and I opened my eyes. When I did, I saw Amari's much relieved face and Caspian not too far behind her. I dazily glanced about the room to see if I was really back. I slowly sat at up and Amari rushed to push me back down.

"Woah... Not so fast there," she scolded. "You're injuries may be healed but you still need rest."
"Rest? I feel like I've been sleeping for ages," I said and heard Caspian chuckle.
"If you ever do that again Ana, I swear I'll drag you back just to kill you myself," he told me.
"Right..." I said slightly confused as to what he was talking about.
"I'm serious, Ana," he responded and his voice told me that he was. "This was the closest you've ever been to death. I almost didn't make it in time. You scared everyone. You scared me." I was shocked by that and wasn't sure how to respond.
"What we're you thinking?" Amari interrupted before I could form a response. "You were in no condition to walk around much less take on Morgana! She was a powerful sorceress. What did you expect to do?"
"Wait... Take on Morgana. What do you mean? The last thing I remember is being dragged out of the room before I could find a cure." Amari and Caspian exchanged a look I couldn't quite read. "What?" I asked them.
"His majesty was poisoned nearly five days ago. You have no idea wha happened between then and now?" Amari answered.
"No.... Why? What happened?"
"Nothing you need concern yourself with right now," Caspian responded. "You get some rest and we can talk about it later."

He made to stand up and I saw Amari hand him back the cordial. I stared at it for a moment and suddenly found myself lost in a memory. Morgana had been screaming for information about it. There was a knife and me nearly suffocating. A screamed spell and Morgana's eyes flashing a dangerous gold. I felt the pain again as well as heard the sound of a bone cracking.

A hand on my head had me jumping back into reality. It was just Amari. "Are you alright?"
Instead of answering her, I kept my attention on the cordial now in Caspian's hand. "You should put that away somewhere safe..."
"It already was," Caspian answered, confusion lacing his voice. "I had to retrieve it in order to save you."
"Morgana wanted it..."
"Morgana? You remember?" Amari questioned.
I shook my head. "Just that she thought that would help her in a battle... I didn't tell her and she—she was angry. She hurt me... She pushed her magic too much and ended up hurting my arm," I slowly and distractedly explained. I was still lost in that moment and even glanced down at my arm to see if it was actually true only to find it wrapped.
"Here," Amari said and started to remove the splints and wrappings. "It's better now, just like all your other injuries."
"Do you know what else happened?" Caspian hesitantly questioned.
"No... I wish I did. I just saw the cordial and it brought that back," I sadly told them.
"Well, it's not surprising," Amari stated, "given the state of your injuries, your mind's probably suppressing them. They may return or they may not. Or something, like the cordial, could trigger them. For now it's probably better if you just rest."
"I think I've rested enough," I protested and tried to get up from the cot.
"Ana..." Caspian said as he moved to stop me, "you need to listen to Amari."
"The healing cordial did its work. I'm fine."
"You're not fine!" he nearly shouted, causing both myself and Amari to stare at him in surprise. Caspian realized his slip and cleared his throat. "You were severely hurt and you have no memory of the past couple of days. I only know what I've been told but you're the only one who can really tell me what happened. So I need you to rest up and remember as much as you can."
"Alright..." I answered, hesitantly, even though I really wanted to stop sleeping.
"The others are doing fine but General Thaddeus—" a third voice began, only to stop once they reached the doorway. It was Merlin and he stared at me in surprise.