Red - Playlist

PLAYLIST/CREDITS

Music is my fuel, and I found out that it helps me write and sets the mood to my words. So, as a "green salt" writing my first novel, I've sprinkled music everywhere. I loved quoting lyrics. It was a homage to some of my favorite artists and a way of sharing with readers what my characters (and I) were listening. It was also lots of fun, because I used music to add another layer to the narrative.

Then I learned that by American laws you need permission to do that, even to quote one single line. Sometimes permission can be denied, or you have to pay for usage, or you inquire about permission and never hear back... I had about 50 songs and poems quoted throughout the novel, plus a piece of dialogue from a film, which altogether spelled sheer nightmare.

So I combed through the whole thing, removing lyrics and describing them with my own words instead — sometimes with good, sometimes with somehow ridiculous results. When I felt some poetry was absolutely necessary, I created my own lyrics or used public domain verses. I also created my own film, which was fun. As for Brazilian music and poetry, fortunately small portions can be quoted, and they remained here in all their glory. Some of the foreign lyrics were left here temporarily as a sample, since I plan to get usage permission soon.

So here are the playlists and credits for what's in RED: the current list and the original list. I like them both...

1) PLAYLIST (CURRENT)

∞∞ Part 1: White — Welcome to the surface

2. Hobbits and sexual deviations from A to Z 

— Jabuticaba (Bebel Gilberto)

6. Strategic pause

— Light my fire – Hot Rocks Club Remix (Infected Mushroom feat. The Doors)

7. Tropical rain 

— The pageant of the bizarre (Zero 7)

Storm ending (adapted poem by Jean Toomer)

8. Rolling the die 

Waltz no. 14 in E minor (Chopin)

Claire de Lune (Debussy)

Life ("Vida", poem by Augusto de Campos)

Timespace (("Tempoespaço", poem by Augusto de Campos)

Here are the lovers ("Eis os amantes", poem by Augusto de Campos)

9. Dream a little dream of me 

— Dream a little dream of me (Ella Fitzgerald/Louis Armstrong)

10. A slanted-eye prank 

— Wonder milky bitch (Air)

— Be a bee (Air)

11. Close encounter of the third kind

— The split truth ("A verdade dividida", poem by Carlos Drummond de Andrade)

12. Duet story

— My way (Frank Sinatra)

If I catch you with another man I'll kill you ("Se te agarro com outro, te mato", Sidney Magal)

13. There won't be roses tonight

— I don't know (Ruth Brown)

14.  Carnival