December 16th

December 16th is one of the many time of the year where Tony, Bucky and Steve all take time to reflect and think about the past. This date hurts multiple people for many different reasons, for some it is the loss of a loved one or a loss of a close friend.

For another it is a reminder that for almost 70 years he had no control and no say over anything he said and did.
It was a day here everyone new or old at the Avengers Estate knew that it was a day of mourning a day were each year it rolled around no one was really sure what was going to happen, but they knew it was best to leave the 3  of them alone for the day.
This year seemed almost a little different for how it played out.

Tony was not up at the crack of dawn throwing himself into work. Instead he was sitting at his desk watching old memories of his parents in a almost awe state.
While Bucky was no where to be seen. Which wasn't that uncommon as usually Bucky would leave the grounds on this day.

But this year Bucky couldn't force himself up out of bed.
He just laid there in bed emotionless for hours and hours, until Steve checked up on him.
Steve sat himself down next to his best friend, no the love of his life and lifted Bucky's head up and rested it on his knee while stroking Bucky's backside softly and slowly, as if to reassure him that everything was going to be alright.
It didn't take long for Bucky to move the rest of his body next to Steve's while still hugging the blanket tightly.

It felt as if a wave of calmness and the feeling of safety washed over Bucky after a while.
Slowly he realised his grip on the blanket and began to cry.
Something Bucky had one done once before on this day.
Steve wasn't shocked by this at all, in fact he was glad that Bucky was finally letting it all out, so Steve stayed there with Bucky helping him through this awful day that will forever haunt him.

But as I said earlier this year wasn't like any other, towards the end of the day Steve had finally gotten Bucky out his room and along the way to the kitchen they came across Tony. He looked like he had also been crying as his eyes were red and his cheeks stained from the tears falling down his face.

The 3 men just stood there in complete and utter silence, it was uncomfortable and awkward to say the least. Normally they would never see each other on this day unless the world was burning even then, it was slim.
They didn't know what to say no one did.
"Bar- James." Tony finally began speaking to break the silence.
"I know that normally on this day nor most days do we speak to each other, but I have to say this now." Tony said with a small sigh. "Tony, We both know what today is for you, are you sure this can not wait?" Steve said calmly but yet you could tell he was trying to be protective of both Tony and Bucky.

"Yes. I have to say it today or.. I'm not sure I'll be able to say it ever." Tony said softly which had Steve Alarmed.
Yes today was a horrible day for all of them but right now Bucky's mental stability was the most important thing.
Yes it was crappy of Steve to focus mainly on Bucky today, but with Bucky becoming worse again, Steve just needed to be with Bucky this next few days 24/7.
"James, I've spent the last 4 years hating you for what you did to my parents. For the pain and grief you have caused me." Tony said with a his hand now clenched into a fist, his expression upset yet scared also.

"Tony!" Steve said rather with such rage Tony took a step back.
"Let me finish." Tony said back sharply.
"I forgive you for what happened that night. It was never your fault James. It was Hydra's." Tony said with a smile on his face and tears in his eyes.

"I've spent so much of my life being angry at my parents and being angry at Hydra for what they had done, that is clouded my rational thoughts and judgment on many things. Including this." Bucky was shocked he didn't know what to say this was all he wanted to here for so long and now that it was finally here it felt like it didn't matter as much but yet in some way it did.

"James, you are not what Hydra attempted to make you into. You are a good person who was forced to do things against his will for a long time."
Tony's smile was kind and gentle so was the way he spoke.

"Thank you." Was the only words Bucky could manage to get out before tears started streaming down his face.
"Your parents would be so proud of you Tony." Steve said with a smile while pulling Bucky into his chest for a hug.
"Come on Buck, lets all go into the kitchen and get something to eat."
Steve said while looking at Tony.
They all walked into the kitchen and began talking about small things at first but slowly the conversations became longer, the feel of the room picked up from sad to happy well if you could say that.
This year was different after all and for once, it was a good thing.
-
Hope you all enjoy my Little December 16th AU ❤️ ~ Em