Beware of the Stranger

Title: Beware of the Stranger

Summary: Handsome men like him couldn’t be murderers, Martha thought. He had blue eyes and blond hair. Serial killers were scruffy, ugly outcasts. Brent was far too good looking!

Claimer: I own the story plot and characters, any names related to those living or dead are purely coincidental. Do not use my characters without permission.

AN: I haven’t written a oneshot in a while and just wanted to get something down. Experimenting with my writings and ideas, that’s all I suppose. That, and I was kinda bored. Please note that this will NOT turn into a novel. This is a ONESHOT only. Please do not ask me to continue as I already have others stories that are begging for my attention…

In any case, please comment and let me know what you think as I would one day like to try my hand at a mystery/thriller type story.

---------

It was something she didn’t normally do. She wasn’t the type of woman to pick up random strangers off the street and take them home. But he looked so…lonely, like a lost little puppy caught out in the rain; she couldn’t help but feel for him.

Well, it probably helped that he had the most stunning blue eyes she had ever seen. They were mesmerizing, drawing her in completely and utterly. And his smile, small but gentle, when she offered him her place to stay for the night made her heart leap.

A man like him, both handsome yet beautiful at the same time, was hard to find. And she, with her emerald green eyes and vibrant red head, would know. She had no trouble attracting men. Usually the wrong kind of men.

But he felt different. There was something exciting and mysterious about him.

Her brother would worry, though. Over the last six months, there had been five murders, all of which were still unsolved. It was a scary time, she must admit.

But this guy was ok, she was certain of it. Handsome men like him couldn’t possibly be insane killers; he was far too good looking. Murderers, in the books she’s read and the movies she’s watched, are all scruffy, unshaven outcasts, anti-social and rude. With his shiny blond hair, twinkling blue eyes and that gorgeous, gentle smile, this man was certainly a lady killer, but he’s no murderer.

“By the way, my name is Martha,” she said as she walked into the kitchen, leaving the man to sit himself down upon her two-seater lounge suite. “And you?”

He was silent for a moment. “Brent.”

“I don’t usually do this,” she said with a small smile, before letting a light laugh pass her lips. “Letting strange men into my house, I mean. But…”

“You wanted to help me,” he finished for her. “How kind.”

Martha felt a heating sensation dance across her cheeks and she busied herself with the task of making tea. Tea would be lovely on such a cold and rainy evening.

“Why don’t you tell me a bit about yourself?” Martha asked as she returned into the lounge room, setting the cup of tea on the table before him before she, too, took a seat upon the couch next to him.

He shrugged, rather jittery, as he made no attempt to take the tea. Instead, he sat on the edge of his seat, his hands clenched together and in-between his knees. He glanced over to her, a gaze lingering for a moment that made her heart skip a beat, before he looked away.

“There’s not much to say,” he said, his voice low, almost haunting. “I…don’t like talking about myself. I have seen some terrible things in my life.”