three

+++

+++

     AS SOON AS THE SUN BEGAN TO PEEK THROUGH THE CLOUDS, HE WAS AWAKE. He sat up and rubbed his tired eyes. He hadn't slept very well, but at least he'd slept. Scanning the area around him, he realized he was one of the very last boys to wake up. Most of the cots around him were empty, and he could see a group of Gladers already working in the garden from afar.

     He eventually forced himself to put his shoes on and get up. Taking a deep breath of the fresh air and a moment to enjoy it, he watched the hustle and bustle of the Glade. Some of the boys were already making their way around the field carrying tools while some were standing around a shack that needed fixing.

     "Hey, Greenie!" someone called and he searched the field for the owner of the voice. It was Nick, who was coming towards him with a large grin.

     "Sleep well?" Nick asked, putting a hand up underneath his eyes to shade them from the sun.

     He scoffed in response, shaking his head lightly. Nick pursed his lips but quickly changed the subject.

     "Well, breakfast is ready for you in the Cookhouse. Go on and eat. I'll find Newt and you can get your tour over and done with," Nick continued.

     He looked over his shoulder at the Cookhouse and when he turned back, Nick was gone. With that, he took a deep breath and headed toward the Cookhouse.

     The cook, who said his name was Frypan, was inside and had eggs and bacon ready for him. He thanked Frypan and picked a table to sit at. Nobody else was in the Cookhouse, so he ate in silence. It was almost peaceful until Frypan started hollering questions at him from the other room.

     "Your name come to you in your dreams last night?" Frypan's thundering voice startled him at first, making him jump in his seat.

     "Oh, uh--no I don't know my name yet," he shouted back to him, his smile fading as he was reminded that he was still the Greenie.

     "Ah, don't worry Newbie. You'll get it soon," Frypan said in an attempt to reassure him. He gave Frypan a smile but didn't reply, finishing his eggs in silence.

     When he was finished, he brought his plate and utensils to Frypan in the kitchen. He took them and they both exchanged smiles again.

     "Hey, you wanna know something? Something I don't tell most people. Some of the newer guys don't even know this," Frypan said.

     He barely caught what Frypan was saying over the loud clanking of pots and pans. But he stood in the doorway and continued to smile, waiting for Frypan to tell his secret.

     Frypan seemed hesitant at first. "Okay, okay. My real name's Siggy," he blurted out, erupting into a fit of laughter.

     He broke out into a grin in response to Frypan's confession. "Really?" he said in between his laughter. "Why do you think Frypan is better?" he teased, hoping he wouldn't take it the wrong way.