Mother

Jocelyn's Perspective
    December 7, 2017
I've been at this school for a year and I only have around 14 friends...Today I got a call from my mother during school and she asked me if I was doing okay and if I had good grades, how are my friends doing and other stuff.
   "Fine mom, everything's fine, how are you and your boyfriend and how did court go?" I sit at the lunch table with Katie, Alyna, Alexandra, Kevin, Lili, Mia, and Zechariah as I listen to my mom
   "Chris took off again and I couldn't make it to court because I've been in the hospital for a week..." I scoot closer to Katie and lean my head on her shoulder.
       "What did he do this time and are you okay?" I fiddle with my lunch bag as my eyes start to water the smallest bit. "A black eye, some bruises, and I had to get stitches on my arm..."
    "Mom I keep telling you stay away from him!" I shout and lean my head down. "Jocelyn...darling I'm so sorry I swear I won't ever talk to him or see him again..." I shake my head and I start feeling angry and upset, "Yeah whatever you said that last time." I hang up and wipe my eyes and start eating my chips from my lunch.
          "What happened Jocelyn... You can tell me..." Katie rubs my back as she puts my hair into a ponytail. "Mom is in the hospital again." I pull down my sleeves slightly and sigh. "I'm sorry to hear..." Katie finishes up her lunch and starts comforting me. Lili and the rest of my friends tell me it's going to be fine, but little do they know that nothing will be fine...nothing is ever fine! Every day I wake up and want to not go to the prison that I go to every day and not live in this stupid foster home anymore!

Katie's Perspective
  Jocelyn lives in a foster home because she can't live with her mom until her mom gets back with her dad Kenith who she hasn't met since she was just a baby...She doesn't live with her grandparents because they're actually dead...Her grandma died of a drug overdose and her grandfather died of old age. She has a little brother Brayden who is only six years old, he lives with his dad who Jocelyn refuses to call father or friend. Jocelyn would do anything just to be with her brother again but...unfortunately she can't do anything because she's only 16...and so am I...I'm one of Jocelyn's very good friends and I would love for her to live with me instead of her foster parents but my parents can't take her yet...
     I try to make a joke to help lighten the mood and it actually works! My bad cringey jokes work for once. Jocelyn giggles and so do the rest of our friends. Alyna makes a really bad pun and it makes everyone burst with laughter because it's just so cringey.
    "Literally Alyna you are the definition of cringe." I say and have everyone giggling up a storm.
  "How cringey can Alyna's puns get?" Kevin asks laughing and wheezing.
       "I have no actual idea." Lili smiles and suggests that we all come and sleep over at her house tomorrow because tomorrow is Saturday. Everyone agrees and soon the bell rings.
    A few hours later and everyone gets let out, we all say our goodbyes to each other saying that we'll text each other on the group chat when we get home. Everyone walks home and my mom picks me up and takes me back to my house.