Ending Memories

Jonas and Gabe glide downhill the cold crisp air envelopes their freezing numb bodies. Coming to a sudden stop Jonas uses the remaining energy he has to get himself and Gabe to the cabin ahead of them. Jonas pulls Gabe closer to his chest, as he brings a shaking hand to the air. His pale knuckles come into contact with the hard mahogany door.

     The door opens revealing a woman in her early thirties; upon looking at Jonas and Gabe a gasp escapes her lips. She quickly ushers them inside. The soft glow and radiating heat of the crackling fire welcomes them. Jonas follows behind the woman in a bee line; trying not to fall as his knees threaten to buckle. Jonas sees the woman's lip move, but hears nothing. Every memory Jonas has ever had plays in his mind. He gives Gabe a kiss on his forehead and says "We made it Gabe, this is it - Elsewhere. I love you; always remember me." Jonas hands Gabe to the woman, as soon as Gabe is in her arms his knees give up. Everything is a big spinning blur, as his eyelids are slowly closing Jonas hears The Giver's voice - "You did it Jonas!" Jonas slips into a never ending sleep.

    Back at the community things are a havoc. Many emotions lingering in the air; such as disbelief, love, and utter shock. The Giver has helped the people of the community cope and understand what happened... Also how sameness is as troubling as making the wrong choices.

~

Well that's that.
                  -Rae💜✌