✓ Chapter One; Thorns

It was scary

It was scary. Your words burned me like a thousand scorching willow trees. You call me dense, weak, fake and unloveable.
But I would much rather call myself different. Unique.
Special.
I'm childish and I'm proud.
I'll never change, especially for the likes of you. Hateful. Cold. Heartless.
Hate is a strong word.
One you used often.
Right around before you left.
Pain.
Shock.
And now you're gone.
————————————————————

    Light emitted from a tiny window, casting the bedroom in a buttery glow.

A honey-golden blonde with translucent lilac eyes was gently brushing out her long silky locks. She hummed as the bristles gently but firmly scraped her scalp, almost like a swift massage.

Emotions swirled in those strange orbs like a whirlwind.

8 rusty needles
7 holy stakes
6 dolls with human eyes
5 battered corpses
4 bloody rags
3 tears shed
2 plastic coins to give
1 more life to take
0 make it out alive

This petite girl was no push-over. A target is a kill and a life is a prize.

The sound of a door being practically ripped from its metallic hinges had Elena nearly jumping off the red velvet stool she sat on. She paused from brushing her silky gold locks and slowly turned her head to the side, glancing successfully.

A man with smoky blue eyes and a black tracksuit walked in. The honey/golden haired girl watched the man, an audacious glint tinged his sharp blue gaze.

She knew exactly what he was there for.

He raised a hand and blue flames licked at the planked flooring, flickering and engulfing anything that crossed its path.

Elena bucked back, kicking the chair along the way as the man once again shot more vibrant flames, only this time it was directed specifically towards her. She reached a slim hand toward her behind pocket, sliding out a narrow stick with intricate patterns that formed blossoms, petals and butterflies.

The man narrowed his eyes and prepared himself as Elena slashed viciously with her wand.

A flash of neon purple light cascaded upon the entire room, making the man stumble back a bit.

Violet butterfly wings tore through her shoulder blades, sharp and daunting. Smaller wings formed on both sides of her head, the same shades of deep royal purple as the larger set.