The Woods

It was already a chilly day, but now it was just plain cold. Mello, who was donning a flamboyant leather jacket, couldn't help but wonder how Near wasn't freezing to death. Whatever. He deserved to freeze...
Near and Mello ventured silently into the woods. The leaves that were left on the trees barely clinged on to the branches. Mello wondered if the leaves could be covering something of importance...
"Hm? What's this?" Near said. He leaned down and shuffled the leaves away, revealing a marked stone. Someone had carved the shape of an eyeball into it. Near held it up for Mello to examine.
Mello held it in his hands, turning it to make sure there was nothing else on it. He looked at the eye and remembered something.
"I saw this eye already... back at the park, carved into a sign. I figured some kid did it... but it takes something to carve an image in a rock. I doubt this was a kid..." Mello thought out loud. He glanced up at Near, who was listening intently. Mello handed the rock back to him. "I could have found this without you."
Near was staring off behind Mello. Mello followed his gaze to see a large tree. Another eye was carved about ten feet up the trunk.
"He has eyes everywhere," Near said in almost a whisper.
"What? What do you mean?"
"Whoever we are dealing with... they are probably dangerous," Near put the rock back down and covered it back up with leaves.
They continued deeper into the woods. Mello could see his breath as he sighed. Suddenly, his foot fell into a concealed hole. Half of his leg went into thr hole as he crashed to the ground. His foot made a loud snapping sound, causing him to cry out in pain and surprise.
Near quickly ran to his side and tried to help him up.
"Get offa me!" Mello hissed, pushing him away. He drug himself forward, freeing his leg. He tried to stand, but the pain of his injured foot wouldn't allow any pressure on it. Mello clenched his teeth and leaned on a tree.
"Your foot is broken, isn't it?" Asked Near.
"Wow, you really ARE a genius, aren't you?" Mello tried to move to another tree.
"Let me help you. We need to get you to a hospital,"
"I told you, I don't need your help!" Mello slammed his fist onto the tree he was leaning against.
Near moved over to him anyway, pulling him from the tree and leaning Mello against his shoulder. Mello gave in, using Near as a crutch to escape the woods.
"Someone put that hole there... we were probably getting close to something," Mello said.
"You're probably right. It can wait," replied Near.