Five

Jonathan took Charlotte's elbow and drew her aside.

"Charlotte," he said, his voice soft despite the concern in his eyes. "Why didn't you inform me of this? Was your mother aware of your intentions?"

"I told her it may be costly."

Jonathan's jaw twitched. That was the only sign of frustration she would ever get out of him. Never in her life had she heard him raise his voice or use a harsh word even if a situation warranted it, as this did now.

"And she agreed it was the proper course of action?" he said, skeptical.

"Papa," Charlotte began.

He held up his hands in surrender. "Yes, yes, I'm aware you've already made up your mind on the subject. I'm just..."

He shook his head, leaving the sentence to dangle there, unsaid.

"Worried," she finished for him. "I know."

You could walk away, Nivian said, the faintest wisp of a voice in Charlotte's mind, carefully offering the suggestion. Once your magic is gone, it may never come back. It should not be taken lightly.

"I'm not taking it lightly, Mama," Charlotte muttered under her breath.

Jonathan raised his eyebrows. "I beg your pardon?"

"It's Mama. She's suggesting that my magic should take precedence."

"Well, I agree with her. Has a witch ever lost her magic and lived without it?"

"That's—I mean—"

"I'll take that as a no," Jonathan replied. "Your magic is part of you, Charlotte. It's in your blood. You are much stronger than the average human, I'll grant you that, but...toying with something like this..."

"I'm taking as many necessary precautions as possible," Charlotte replied as evenly as she could.

She appreciated and understood the concern of her parents, she truly did. But the longer she hesitated over her decision, the more opportunities The Endless One had to break free.

Charlotte turned to look at where Yulia and Zevvi still stood, Yulia's arm wrapped around Zevvi's shoulders.

"No, Papa," she whispered. "If I have the power to do something...then I can't agree with you or Mama. My magic doesn't take precedence here."

Jonathan sighed wearily. "Alexander was a fine young man but—"

"It's not just Alexander. It's William, too. It's everyone who has been in The Endless One's path before and who stands in his path now. He took that little boy's soul and his will to live. When Zevvi dies, he won't pass on to the afterlife and join his mother.

"How many others has The Endless One robbed? A dozen? A hundred? A thousand? Mortal life is short and harsh enough. To be denied the peace and comfort of the afterlife is too cruel. I can't believe my magic would take precedence over that."

Jonathan said nothing. And yet Charlotte saw the acceptance in his eyes, begrudging though it was.

After a pause, Nivian spoke.

That's exactly why witchcraft isn't yours alone.

Charlotte closed her eyes, releasing a long, low breath.

"The other witches—"

The other witches can handle themselves but this doesn't concern them, at least for now. Magic may reside in your veins, in your blood, but as long as you are part of the living world, your magic touches everyone around you. It can bring about healing, anger, joy, love, depending on how you use it. You've always known that. But the same is true for the absence of your magic.