13

Leo's pov

I layed awake, staring at my ceiling. The clock on my bedside was flashing a bright  04:52, reminding me that it was too early to get up and it was also too late to actually think of getting some sleep.

My body was tired but my mind was wide awake. I found myself in a situation where I would close my eyes but a second later open them, like my mind was refusing to take rest. It was becoming really annoying and frankly I was getting bored just laying here.

My door opened startling me, I got up, immediately preparing myself to attack. Who would just walk into my room at such a time?

"Calm down, it's just me" Lucas, my dad's Beta and Ian's dad said as he walked in with his hands up, he chuckled as he watched me relax. He looked tired, but I didn't comment, it wasn't anything new.

"What are you doing here?" I asked falling down on my bed. He walked over and sat at the foot of my bed. A warm smile that I believed would always feel familiar to me.

"You seem to be wide awake, isn't it a little early" he laughed, ignoring my question but I didn't mind it.

"Can't sleep, where did my dad send you off to now?" I asked. Last time I heard Lucas was sent to go investigate something after my dad got a phone call.

"I just came back from some pack houses, things aren't good, houses are being invaded and destroyed. The people are safe - thank goodness. It seems like someone's trying to send us a message. I'm never wrong when I have a hunch, something tells me that Kaen is behind this. It wouldn't make sense to destroy property and scare people but still take nothing or kill anyone."

"I don't understand what they want. They've been threatening my father and  I for years. Why won't they just give up, they've tried messing with us and it didn't work out for them."

"Power is a blinding obsession, they don't want any rulers, they believe in a pack that has free reign to do whatever. They want to completely wipe out your bloodline. They've been silent for a while now, I don't know why they're suddenly causing trouble. Can you even imagine our world with no leaders, everything will fall into chaos"

"The phone call you received earlier, was it concerning Kaen, did they do something worse?"

"Yes, we got a complaint from one of the pack members. Her house was attacked, only her bedroom survived because it was the room she was hiding in. Most of these things happen close to the border. We've given strict instructions for the neighboring houses to stay inside."

"Did you say close to the border" I perked up, my pulse picking up at the thought that Josie was in danger.

"Calm down, there are people watching the Luna. She is safe, truth be told she'd be safer here" he said shaking his head. "But I won't meddle in your affairs"

"What I would give to have her here with me." I sighed. "If it was my choice I'd have her here but she was hesitant and I didn't want to bring her against her will. I don't want her to see me as her enemy, she hasn't come back and today is the last day – I'm going to go get her myself and bring her to live with her future family. It's too dangerous for her to be alone anyways."

I didn't want to sound like such a dictator but Josie needed to come and get used to her people, Our people - that's if she'll accept me.

"I trust you Leo, I know you'll take good care of her, just don't spring too much on her at once. She's just a girl. Let her get used to the idea of ruling" he said.

"Did you really come into my room to give me the talk" I asked smiling. He laughed and roughed up my hair.

"That's for your father to take care of" he smiled "I only came in to check on you, I already checked on Ian and he's fast asleep. Can't even wake him up with a brick, he's just like his mother." I could tell the amount of love he had for his mate, I can only hope one day I'll have that same look in my eyes.

"Well anyways, I should probably go to sleep. I'm getting too old for running around. Good night Leo, or should I say Good morning. Good luck with our Luna" he nodded before he left.

I fell back onto my bed and stared at the ceiling. I couldn't stop thinking about Josie. I wouldn't be able to forgive myself if something bad happened to her. I knew that I couldn't do much about her not wanting to come and live with me, but I'd still feel responsible.

My mate.

She was the one meant for me. We were meant to be together and I couldn't help but smile at the thought. I couldn't wait for the day I could actually hold her in my arms, I only hoped today was that day. Adriaan hoped so too.

I checked the time and I was grateful that it was early enough to actually be awake and roaming.

I got out of bed, and decided to take a quick shower. I quickly got dressed and left my room in hopes of finding my father.

I found him in the kitchen, my mouth opened and closed again when I noticed that he was on the phone. He seemed angry, whether it was his tense stance or the way his jaw was clenched. Either way, it had me worried.

I got his attention the second he dropped the phone.

"Did something happen?" I asked, the look on my father's face was enough to tell me.

"It's John again" my father replied, and that was enough to freeze me in place.

"What did he do?" My first thought went to my mate, was she safe? I prayed she was. My mind was going through all the possibilities until my father's voice brought me out of my thoughts.

"He and the Kaen have been breaking into some of the houses next to the border. All I know is that they just break into them, turn a few things upside down, but take nothing." He stressed. I already knew all of this but I couldn't understand why my dad was so worked up on it.

"I don't know what game he's playing, I get his fued with me and my family but he's messing with my pack and I won't stand for it!" my father continued as he walked out and into the main living room where Lucas was currently on the phone.

"Have you heard anything about Josie? Is she safe" I asked my father, my worry seeping into my voice.

"We have people watching over her house, I'll call to make sure everything is alright" He smiled reassuringly.

I watched my father call the head guard, and every time it went straight to voicemail. He tried all the guards that were placed to watch over her area but they didn't pick either. I could tell everyone was getting nervous.

He threw the phone and it went flying and crashed on the opposite wall startling most of the people that were in the room, which was just me, Lucas and a few other pack members and maids. Lucas was standing a few feet away from the destroyed phone.

"Something's not right!" my father said, voicing everyone's thoughts.

"We have to go" I urged, seeing no other way.

"I swear John will regret it if he lays a finger on your mate son" He said, with promise in his tone.

I could only hope it didn't come to that. I could only hope that the people watching over her had just all lost their phones somehow. I could only hope that she was alright.

******

It's a little short - sorry for that. Its edited.

Lots of love

-Monalisi