Part 11

"The themes include infidelity, jealousy, hypocrisy, faith, family, marriage, and society. Anna Karenina is considered to be Tolstoy's first true novel as well as one of the greatest novels of all time . . ."

I didn't roll my eyes, but if I'd been an eye-roller I definitely would have.

Anna Karenina was my least favorite of Tolstoy's works. Every character was a stereotype, a flat caricature lacking in depth, the only purpose, to play out scenarios in order to highlight Tolstoy's precious themes.

The saint.

The sinner.

The ingénue.

The selfless hero.

The fallen woman.

Blarg and gag.

"What was Anna's greatest mistake?" Luca asked the class, his eyes skimming over the lecture hall.

It was Friday. I'd returned to class on Monday, easily explaining away my absence to Taylor and other classmates as a personal emergency.

On Monday I'd raised my hand every time he posed a question. He never called on me.

On Wednesday I lifted my arm about half the time. Same result.

Today, I tried three times then gave up.

Not only had Luca not called on me, he hadn't looked at me all week. He hadn't made any sign that I was anything other than invisible.

Just like old times.

At present, I was sketching a possible design for my cosplay costume and not really paying attention to the discussion or the lecture. I'd had just about as much as I could take of watching him interact with other students, watching how they engaged and became excited, watching how he'd hold them captive in the palm of his hand.

That would never be me, and that was okay.

Moving on.

"Anna . . ." Luca's voice said, and I completely zoned out.

I'd decided I'd be Tank Girl for comic-con. The outfit would be a challenge, but I'd found an online tutorial for making armor out of PVP foam and modpodge. Modpodge was basically magic in a bottle for crafters.

Taylor nudged me with her elbow, yanking my attention away from the sketch. I frowned at her and she stared back with wide eyes, indicating with her head toward the front of the class.

Confused, I glanced in the direction she indicated and found Luca leaning against the long table at the front, glaring at me.

A shock of surprise and awareness slapped me across the face and I sat straighter in my seat.

"Ms. Harris, do you need me to repeat the question?"

I nodded. "Yes, please."

He scowled, yet his tone was even as he asked, "What was Anna's greatest mistake?"

Without thinking too much about it, I responded, "Allowing others to define her worth rather than having a strong sense of self."

Luca's stare turned fuzzy for a beat as he processed my response and confusion knit his eyebrows. "You don't think her greatest mistake was giving into Vronsky? Leaving Karenina?"

"No. She didn't belong with Karenina. She did the right thing by leaving him."

He crossed his arms over his chest, his frown deepening, and lifted his chin toward me. "Please explain."