This Was Supposed To Be The End

A.N: This first "chapter" is really short. There will be a continuation telling what happens after Newt jumps. Another note, this is based on book Newt, not Thomas Sangster Newt, so he has long hair and he's Australian, because I always pictured him as an Aussie. Anyways, on with the fanfic. Mind dropping a review?

Oh, one more thing, I DO NOT OWN THE MAZE RUNNER.

Wind whipped his blonde hair around as he looked down from the wall's edge. Today he was going to do it. Nothing was going to stop him now. He just couldn't take it anymore, after five long months. Five long months of running around the Maze, all day, everyday, with his running partner, Minho. Running around like mice trying to find the cheese.

He was tired of he and his friends being test subjects. He knew that's all they were. The plaques on the Maze's wall said it all- World In Catashrophe, Killzone Experiment Department. The words Killzone and Experiment were etched into his mind the most, especially Killzone. Perhaps this is what they wanted, for people to die.

The Maze seemed to have solution. No bloody solution. All the running never amounted to anything. It never got them anywhere. With every passing day, it seemed to him that the Maze was getting even more unsolvable. He concluded that they were never going to get out, never go back to their families, their homes, even though they didn't remember them. They were doomed to live here forever.

He convinced himself that was his only escape.

A beetle blade scattered about near him. The six-legged mechanical lizard stopped, its glowing red eyes gleaming. It seemed to focus on him. He knew they were watching.

They were always watching.

And so he made a very bold move. He raised his middle finger to it, eyes filled with a rare rage. Being angry wasn't like him at all.

"Is this what you bloody wanted?!" the Australian- although he didn't know that's what he was- shouted at the machine.

Running a hand hrough his hair, he attempted to calm down. He took small steps towards the very edge. The closer he got, the more he longed for it to be over. Looking up, he noticed that the sun was going down. The Doors would be closing soon, and in the distance he could hear Alby calling his name. If Alby got there before he did it, his friend would surely talk him out of it. He pictured Alby's horrified face, which made tears come to his eyes. He was starting to rehink his decision.

No. He already decided what he was going to do. He couldn't live this life anymore.

Wiping the tears from his eyes, he took a deep breath and readied himself. Over and over in his head, he told himself that he wasn't afraid.

Newt was not afraid of death.

He jumped.

And he felt nothing.