XXI. (Part II)

Aegis turned around and almost knocked one of the doctors over as she banged on the glass to her room

Aegis turned around and almost knocked one of the doctors over as she banged on the glass to her room. Everyone stopped what they were doing and looked up.

Aegis shouted, "Look!" while pointing at Mueseph's room and they all did just that, but they didn't share the same excitement as her.

Raven was straight-faced and the twins appeared annoyed that Aegis interrupted their squabbling. Her excitement dissipated when she turned and ran up to Mueseph's window. Before Aegis could make it to the other side she froze. She assumed the hand grabbing Mueseph's was her own. That is - the one attached to her body.

Standing at Mueseph's bedside was a woman -

No.

It was Mueseph and she was staring down at a mere reflection of herself, unresponsive to the touch. The doctors occupying her room went about their duties as if no one was there and that's when Aegis realized why everyone was confused. She was going insane and seeing things that weren't there. Maybe Mueseph was right after all.

The doppelganger touched Mueseph's face with disbelieving eyes before meeting Aegis'. Aegis recognized the pain in them from where she stood. Did Mueseph blame her, she wondered? The doppelganger backpedaled and as a doctor passed in front of her, she disappeared.

"What is it?" Raven grabbed Aegis' shoulder, startling her out of the frightening scene she'd been sucked into.

"I just..."

Raven gazed into Mueseph's room and then back at Aegis, dropping her hand.

"They'll do everything they can for her."

Aegis nodded and Raven called for the others to join them.

"Aegis, you'll be riding with Terf. Singe is going to take Yan home for now. We need to get you settled before welcoming another outsider."

Terf sighed loud enough for everyone to hear him. Singe cackled and teased Terf for being stuck "babysitting" and Terf punched his arm without warning, causing Singe to recoil and glare at him. He strode past everyone and grabbed Aegis' arm, rushing her down the hall. Terf shoved a metal door open and revealed a stairwell.

He kept his hurried pace down the stairs and Aegis was having a hard time regaining her footing as he dragged her down the empty staircases. When she finally caught up, Terf abruptly stopped just before a door and she slammed face-first into his stone back. A dull ache in her chest made Aegis grunt and Terf cracked the door ajar, mouthing, shut up.

She glared at him and shouted, "Ouch!".

Terf's vapor-bike was parked behind the hospital, but a few rogue reporters had spotted it and were standing at attention. One reporter's head cocked in their direction after Aegis' rebellious outburst. Terf withdrew from the doorway and Aegis' breath hitched when he slipped his dirty hands into her cardigan, his rough fingers sliding across her bare waist until she was backed into the wall adjacent to it.