Three Act Screenplay

ACT I
Scene 1
Set in Maple Park high school in Branson, Missouri. The high school rooms look mostly the same depending on the wing of the building that they're in. In this scene, they are in Ace Levi's first block class which is an English III class. He dresses in rather dark clothing and almost always wears a band t-shirt. He's on the skinny side with long brown hair.

ACE enters along with ten to fifteen other kids. The teacher is already sitting at her desk with her laptop in front of her and she's grading papers. The kids take their seats. ACE is seated in the middle of the room and is hit in the head once or twice with backpacks. He sits there annoyed but doesn't say anything. He pulls his laptop out of his bag and sets it on the table. The final bell rings and the class becomes silent.

November 16, 2017, 8:15 am

Teacher: Good morning class.
Students: Good morning Mrs. Perry

MRS. PERRY, who is a short and skinny black haired woman, crosses to the door and closes it as the announcements played over the intercom just as they did every morning. All of the students rose and said the pledge of allegiance in unison with the girl on the speaker. The sound of the chairs screeching on the ground drown out the announcements. Once they were done the students fell somewhat quiet again.

Mrs. Perry: Okay everyone, get out your laptops and open up to our lesson for the day

There's a dull roar of chatter as the students pull out their laptops and go to the assignment for the day.

Mrs. Perry: As you can see today we are going to start a new project.

All students groan at the word "project" MRS. PERRY walks to her desk which has a box full of books on top of it. She stands behind her desk.

Mrs. Perry: I know. I know. It's not as bad as it sounds. Don't worry. Our next book is In Cold Blood. I'm going to call you up by table to check a book out to you.We'll start with Andrew's table, then Maddison's, Abigail's and then Jack's. Alright, Andrew's table lets go.

ACE and the other students at "Andrew's table" got up to get their books checked out to them and then return to their seats as the next table walks up. ACE sit's back in his seat and flips through the book.

Mrs. Perry: Okay guys, chapters one through four is due Monday morning, first thing. We will have a test over those chapters and then a discussion. You need to take Cornell style notes as you did with our last book. All you need to take notes on is a quote that catches your attention. Write down the quote and the page number. Then explain how the quote makes you feel or why it stands out to you. Okay, now that that part is out of the way I'm going to assign you to your first project for this book. I want you and a partner to create a timeline for the book. You will create three different ones. The first one will be with the Clutter family, the second one will be with the detectives and the third one will be with Perry and Dick. It will be due once when we finish the book. I will give you a couple of built-in days to work on it. Go ahead and choose your partner and then you have the next thirty minutes to read. Once the thirty minutes is over you will begin your project.

ALL STUDENTS look around the room and pick partners all except for ACE and another girl who don't even bother to look but instead begin reading. Time passes and then MRS. PERRY speaks again.