7

2 Nights Later:

A smile.  A new necklace twinkling in the morning light.  The sun peaking over the clouds in a cute way.  A camera taking a picture of us both in a red convertible.  Riley's laugh as he tempts us to get closer to the edge.  The fog over the mountain trees.  Lillie's anxious face to get home.  My laugh as Riley takes me in his arms and kisses me gently on the cheek.  Whispers telling me that I'm his only love.

Lillie's hand pulling on my shirt to bring us back to the convertible.  The sound of a car engine.   The screeching of tires as Riley pulls out of the parking lot.  A scream.

The room spinning as I try to get up.  Frustration.  Hitting the pillow with fists.  My forehead thick with sweat.  Breathing coming hard and fast.  The door opening and the woman, that I used to call mother, comes rushing in.

"What's wrong?" she asks me.  I shake my head and hide the shame on my face.  "Are you in pain?"

I ignore her.

"For goodness sakes, Mandy!" she looses patience.  "Please talk to me!"

"I can't!" I stumble out.  My throat cracks.  I need water but I don't want to get up.  I don't want to leave.

Her head shaking, whether with sadness or frustration.  A slammed door.  A traitor tear as I realize I'm alone.