Unaware

PROLOGUE

Sixteen Years Ago ...

Within every being, there is a battle being fought between the forces of goodness and evil. In the Kingdom of Faery, the struggle between good and evil, light and dark, Seelie and Unseelie continues...

* * * * *

"Daniel!" the deep, deafening voice of the Seelie king echoed throughout the shadow-filled cavern. "Bring the girl and the baby at once!"

"No father, there must be another way," Daniel pleaded, his hands gripping the impenetrable ice bars that held him, Scarlett, and their baby captive.

The king slammed his massive hand against the prison bars. His royal crescent ring chipped the ice. "You are in no position to make requests, foolish boy. You chose to follow your heart and now our kingdom is on the brink of war."

Daniel stood steady, denying his father's order. His mother, the Seelie queen, moved swiftly from one end of the cold chamber to stand beside her husband. Daniel saw her long, green velvet robes dragging across the ground of the cave that had become his dungeon. She reached her thin, aged fingers between the cold prison bars to her son's hand.

While holding her son, the queen watched the vapor rushing forth from her husband with each breath he forcefully exhaled. Trying to ease the fury that was building inside of her husband and king, the queen placed her free hand on his arm and spoke softly, "Dear, I think you are being too harsh on our son."

The Seelie king looked as if he would explode. The green and gold robes over his upper torso rose with the expansion of his chest.

"Do you think stopping a war and bringing about peace is a simple task? This deal was born from years of negotiation. Our son is the Seelie prince; it was his obligation to marry the Unseelie princess, not some sniveling human girl. Our plan to unite the kingdoms of Faery and end the war once and for all hinged on his compliance," the king bellowed, shaking the frozen bars with his mass and strength.

The queen remained calm with her hand still on his raised arm. "Perhaps it was too great a burden to place on a Fae so young; the boy is only twenty-one." The queen fixed her eyes on Daniel.

"The boy knew what was at stake. What happens to the girl and the baby are on his head," said the king.

"But father," Daniel dropped his hand from the bar and let go of his mother. He stood with his eyes fixed on his father, but still fear gripped his soul. Denying his father, the king, had meant death for others in their realm. Daniel was readying to offer further protest when . . .

"Silence!" the Seelie king shouted. "You acted in your own selfish interests. A king must act in the interest of his kingdom. The price for your pardon may seem unbearable to you now, but in the years to come, I assure you, you will see the wisdom of the arrangement I have made."

Daniel grabbed the frozen bars, hanging his head low. "Father, please—" he pleaded, his voice barely a whisper. "Please—"

Unaffected by his son's anguish, the king continued, "The Unseelie princess has arranged to raise the prison bars and free you at midnight, Daniel. She has agreed to allow Lucille to take the baby and keep her in the human world."

Raising his head, Daniel said, "But Scarlett will not allow it."

"Scarlett will be sacrificed to assuage the princess's pride. That and to free you from the bonds of marriage. Then you, my son, will be united in marriage to the Unseelie princess as was originally arranged. Once the marriage vows are complete, the Seelie and Unseelie will be united again as one race of Fae. And I will preside over the Kingdom of Faery as the one true king."