Chapter 9

"You are late!!" I said irritably to Jeremy as he took a seat next me in the café where I had been waiting for him. "I know I am the one who called you here to meet me and I myself am late. I'm sorry, it's just that Olivia would just not allow me to get out of her clutches. That girl is turning into a burden." he sighed.

"I understand." I said sympathetically.
"I called you here to ask you something. The thing is it's your birthday in two months and our second year of engineering is also coming to an end so we all have decided to go on a road trip and spend the week after new year in my farmhouse at the edge of the city and also celebrate your birthday together. Would you like to join us?" Jeremy asked.

"By we whom are you referring to?" I asked him. "The STARS, Stephen, Sinclair, Samantha, Edmund, Olivia, one surprise guest and me of course." he answered.
"Who is this surprise guest you are talking about?" I asked him curiously.
"It's a surprise guest princess which basically means you are supposed to be surprised. So don't ask me." he said rolling his eyes.

"So will you come? If you have a problem with Sinclair and Stephen being present just tell me, your wish is my command, I will exclude them from this trip." he assured me.
"Excluding them would show them that their existence makes a difference in my life or that I am affected by them. So please include them and I will definitely come." I answered calmly.

"You agreed!!! I am over the moon." he yelled happily. "Jeremy shut up, we are in a café and people are staring." I hissed. "Sorry I am just so happy that I am not able to control myself. So get up we need to start preparing for the trip" he said enthusiastically as he paid our bills.

"Jeremy the trip is two months later. Calm down." I said laughing as he dropped me off to my home.
I made my way upstairs thinking "I was so wrong, Jeremy isn't the frivolous guy I thought he was. He is infact a small child at heart. Especially when he was excited like today."

"A year back if someone had told me that Stephen and Sinclair would be strangers in my life and Jeremy and Edmund would become my best friends I would have called them insane and asked them sarcastically if they would tell me that the earth was flat next." I mused grinning.

"But life has a weird way of functioning" I said aloud as I snuggled into my bed and spent the rest of the sunday watching movies and playing games.
Olivia knocked at the door of the empty shed twice before leaving a letter at the doorstep and hurrying away.

The letter quickly reached the hands of the marionettist who had been waiting for this missive. He opened the letter eagerly, it read as "Puppet number one has officially hooked up with Stephen Cantrell. Also I have somehow made everyone agree to take a road trip to Jeremy's farmhouse this new year and Rose has agreed to join him too. I have sincerely done whatever you have asked me to do. Now it's your turn to fulfill your promise. -O.S"

The marionettist couldn't believe his luck, this puppet of his was the most cunning and useful one amongst them all.
"She succeeded in making Stephen and the other puppet hook up? Impossible! I had already known Rose would never refuse her best friend Jeremy and that she would definitely go on the road trip but this was unexpected. I didn't think Stephen would get this easily trapped." he thought with a satisfied smile.

Now puppet number one was firmly and irreversibly in his control.
"Poor Olivia, she should have known not to trust me. Now she can continue running behind her love because I don't have the time to waste on uniting a cunning she-devil to the love of her life." the marionettist said to himself with an evil smirk.

The next day as I entered the university I noticed Stephen sitting all alone under his tree. Sinclair was nowhere in sight but then I had heard the rumours circulating that their friendship had turned from bad to worse because both of them blamed each other for their spoilt relationship with me.