Final Chapter!

Percy’s POV

WHAT HAD HE DONE?! WHY DID HE DO THAT? Percy banged his head repeatedly against the wall. He was back in his cabin. He’d join the others for dinner later. But right now, he was ready to answer the pestering voice inside his head. Yes, I do like Nico. He just didn’t know how to tell him. “Pe-e-e-ercy?” a bleat snapped him out of his reverie, followed by several knocks on his door. “C’mon du-u-u-ude! Don’t forget that we have Capture the Flag tonight with the Romans! Fourth of July today, reme-e-ember?” reminded Grover. “Yeah, sure. I’ll be right there!” said Percy. He sighed and followed Grover to the pavilion.

Hundreds of campers were milling about, Roman and Greek. They’d invited Camp Jupiter over for the feast. Percy’s eyes automatically scanned the crowd for any sign of Nico. Finally, he spotted him. He was sitting with Frank and Hazel, watching the other two have a conversation, while fiddling with a Mythomagic figurine. Then, as if by some strange hidden magnet, Nico met his eyes. Percy didn’t know how long it lasted, but Chiron’s booming voice cut their connection. He banged his hoof on the table. “Campers! We welcome you here today in honour of the Independence Day...” the centaur droned on about how gratified they were to have them for company. Percy looked back at Nico, but the son of Hades was looking down, the figurine pocketed in his aviator jacket. “So, I bet tonight’s Capture the Flag will be... interesting. Please refrain from maiming and/or killing each other. Any injuries will be immediately treated by the dryads at the healing station. The giant eagles will be roaming around just in case. Praetors Frank Zhang, Reyna Arellano, and I will be playing referee. The game begins in an hour, so let us begin the feast!”

Plates appeared before each camper accompanied with a magic goblet. Percy’s plate immediately produced a cheeseburger (blue, of course) and blue cherry soda. He looked over at Nico, who was smiling dryly at a pomegranate. Jason Grace sat down beside him, along with his girlfriend Piper Mclean. He nodded at both of them in acknowledgement, and went back to staring at the son of Hades. Jason glanced at him, and then drew an imaginary line pointing to where he was looking at. He gasped “Aha! Why are you staring at Nico?” he inquired with a devilish waggle of his brows. “You like him, don’t you?” he teased. “A little louder, Grace, I don’t think they heard you over there.” Grumbled Percy. “Okay. Hey, did you know that Percy li- UMPH! MMF! “His words were cut off short by Percy’s hand, clamped on his mouth. “Shut up or you’ll get a cheeseburger stuck in your nose” threatened Percy. Jason’s eyes twinkled mischievously as he nodded assent. “So, does he know?” he asked. “No Jason, now shut up, please?” Percy said as he took a bite of his cheeseburger. “But-“this time, it was Piper’s hand that shut him up. “Sorry Percy, I swear he acts like a girl sometimes. Come on, Grace.” Apologized Piper as she dragged Jason away from the table. “Thanks, Pipes” said Percy. The horn blew again, signalling the end of dinner. They all stood up and ran off to prepare for tonight’s game.

“Man, you gotta tell him.” Said Jason while adjusting the straps on his armour. Percy gave him a whack on the head “Shut. Up. I will. Just not now, okay?” he hissed. “Whatever, dude.” Jason rolled his eyes. “Attention, campers! Red team will be Romans! Blue will be our side!” announced Chiron. “You may have 5 minutes to strategize! Begin!” all eyes turned to Percy, as he was the next best strategist now that Annabeth was gone. “Okay, here’s what we’re going to do. Hermes cabin, you, Hecate and Morpheus can distract them. Try to cause as many diversions as you can.” The Stoll brothers high-fived each other. “Dionysus, Ares, Athena, Iris, Aphrodite, you take the left flank. Round them up so that Demeter, Nemesis, Hephaestus, and Apollo could meet them at the right flank. That way, they’ll be trapped.” The campers nodded in agreement. “I’ll need volunteers to capture the enemy’s flag. Who can do it?” Clarisse and a few of her siblings raised their hands. So did Piper and Leo. A few from Athena. “Great. Now all that’s settled-““Who’s going to watch the flag?” someone inquired. Percy cursed himself for not thinking about that. “I’ll do it.” A voice said. Nico di Angelo stepped forward, radiating death in his black armour with a blue plume atop his helmet. He leaned on his Stygian sword. Nobody objected; they’d seen him fight Percy earlier. “Uh, s-sure. You’ll need a partner, though. Any volunteers?” he asked. “Why don’t you do it?” somebody called out. Percy was ready to bet his sword that the speaker was Piper. “You’re a good fighter, Percy! You should definitely stay with Nico!” she piped up, using her charmspeak. The campers nodded at this. “Fine.”  He glared at her. “Everybody knows what to do? Good luck!” they scattered, taking their positions. Nico studied him warily, and said “So, where’s the flag?”