Chapter 18

Felicity spent the majority of her weekend with Adam. It was a novelty being with someone other than Diggle, Oliver or Roy in a setting that didn't feel like an underground bunker most of the time. She wasn't complaining though, she loved her work and took pride in the contribution she made to the team. However, it felt good to have an interest that wasn't solely based around Oliver Queen and his constantly evolving needs.

On Saturday night she'd returned the favour and cooked for Adam. This time, however, it had been a dual effort and she couldn't remember the last time she'd had so much fun or laughed so loud. Who knew that her tiny kitchen was capable of creating such an intimate and cozy atmosphere? Their meal had been delicious, made more so because they'd both enjoyed the process from start to finish.

The following morning Adam picked her up and whisked her away to a quaint bistro for an unexpected, yet delightful brunch. Afterward, strolling amid the various market stalls selling everything from fresh produce to little trinkets, Felicity caught sight of what her life might be like with Adam as a permanent fixture in it. There'd be laughter and lazy days spent indoors watching movies and cuddling on the couch. There'd also be times when they'd ventured out to explore, trying new things and making new memories. It wouldn't grow dull or boring, she knew that instinctively. He was the kind of guy who kept a woman on her toes, definitely one of the things she liked most about him. He'd also make sure that she felt safe and loved and cared for because that was the kind of man he was; he put her needs first.

Just the other day they'd grabbed lunch together when he'd bumped into an important colleague. Instead of making her wait while they chatted business, he'd introduced her and tactfully informed his associate that they'd catch up when he was back in the office. Steering her away and following close behind, he forgot the other guy within seconds. She smiled thinking about the memory. A future with him would hardly be a hardship.

"A penny for your thoughts?" Adam asked as she slipped her arm through his.

Looking up at him, so handsome in jeans and a jacket, she replied, "You'll be pleased to know that I was actually thinking about you."

His eyebrow rose, amused, "Contemplating my good looks and charm, were you?" he teased.

She studied him with false seriousness. "You're good looking?"

He burst out laughing, clutching his heart theatrically. "The Lady wounds me."

"So dramatic," she jested, rolling her eyes. "Actually, I was remembering how you sent your colleague packing when we had lunch the other day."

"Was that unusual?"

She nodded. "In a word? Yes."

He directed her left to avoid colliding with a woman pushing a stroller. "Why?"

"Most people tend to be so far up their superior's behinds that you can see them emerging from their mouths."

He chuckled at the analogy. "If I hadn't been with you, I would probably have invited him to sit with me. But since I wasn't alone, it wouldn't have been appropriate to spend the time I was dedicating to you, listening to him. Besides, I was going to run into him at the office anyway, so it could wait." He looked down at her. "You're far too important for me to ignore."

Her heart swelled and she looked away, a little embarrassed by the warmth in his gaze. "Hey, look." She pointed to an elderly gentleman caressing the spine of a well worn tome. "There's a guy selling vintage books. Maybe you'll get lucky and find Mrs. Maybrick."

Adam loved conspiracy theories which was ironic considering that he only ever applied logic and reason when it came to his profession. He called the contradiction in his nature escapism; Felicity found it fascinating. His current interest revolved around the Jack the Ripper murders. Having read up on all the supposed suspects, he'd finished off with James Maybrick. Convinced that he wasn't the actual killer, but intrigued enough to want to know more, he was in search of a rare copy of Maybrick's widow's autobiography.