A Bold Move

"I'll just wait about six months and then hit him and we'll take over." - Sonny Spica

All was quiet and everybody was making money until September 1979 when T. J. "Stormy" Harvell, business manager of Local 42 and a crony of Art Berne's, died of natural causes. Harvell's was the position of ultimate power in the union. Raymond Flynn, then a business agent, and Berne lobbied Aiuppa for the lucrative job.  At the same time, Jimmy Michaels backed John Paul Spica for the leadership position at Local 42. This move brought him into direct conflict with Raymond H. Flynn.

In a poorly disguised attempt to gain more power for the Italians, Giordano planned to realign the mob's presence in the Laborers' locals. Spica was to play a key part and have a position of influence. It would be a big boost for his criminal career and his self-esteem, but it also would be the catalyst for his second dilemma. Giordano planned to install Stoneking as a business agent in Local 53, a relatively poor Local, and Spica as a business agent in Local 42 with a larger treasury. 

Giordano announced his decision at a mob conclave at Bill Giordano's Banana distributorship a few days after Flynn's appointment. Stoneking was there with Berne and Flynn. The Italians were represented by Trupiano, Joseph Cammarata, Mafia underboss, and John Vitale, an elder statesman of the Mafia. Ray Flynn didn't like Giordano's plan. 

When questioned by Giordano, Flynn replied, 'Well, Jesse's not going to get the money that this Spica gets because his union doesn't have any money. You gonna give Jesse $714 a week like Spica? Plus a new Cadillac every year'?

Tony Giordano responded, "Well, no we can't do that." 

Flynn said, "Why don't you put your man in 53 with the Italians and let me bring Jesse with us?" 

Tired of arguing, Giordano decided that they were gonna do as he had originally planned and that was it. They had a big argument. That's when Flynn really got mad. A week later, Stoneking got in 53 and Spica got in 42.

Giordano had assured him no work was expected of him, but Tocco, another 53 leader, wanted him to help in organizing. The position only paid $300 a week with no expense account and no Cadillac. Stoneking quit the position after only about six months.

A few days after the meeting, Stoneking, Berne, Giordano and Giammanco were in the vending machine company in Fairmont City. Stoneking described a conversation that had taken place with Spica and Giordano before leaving 53: "Spica comes in. He says, 'You know, that Flynn, he ain't no mover. I'm a mover. We're gonna make some money in that union. I'll just wait about six months and then hit him and we'll take over'." Jesse assumed Giordano had approved such a move because "Tony didn't say anything. He kind of shrugged his shoulders."

"Art (Berne) went back and told Ray (Flynn) and Ray hit the ceiling. Art told me later that Ray said he was going to crack Spica first and Art said go on, to let him know if he needed any help." Spica didn't believe in a conspiracy of silence. He told others of his plan to take out Flynn.