Chapter 0: Red Star

It was a normal day in Seoul, people filling every inch of the busy streets, murmurs of various voices in the air and heels and soles clacking against the concrete of the sidewalk as businessmen, students, employees and housewives rushed to their ...

It was a normal day in Seoul, people filling every inch of the busy streets, murmurs of various voices in the air and heels and soles clacking against the concrete of the sidewalk as businessmen, students, employees and housewives rushed to their destination. The blaring sunlight bounced off the walls of the tall buildings, making the scorching heat even hotter than it already was.

Standing out in the crowd was a girl wearing a maroon beanie, the words New York stitched on with curly white letters. She had tan skin and jet black hair, the color matching her long trench coat that left just a fourth of an inch between the cloth and the floor. She raised a hand to her earpiece and spoke into the tiny microphone hidden in the collar of her coat.

"Avery, give me a recap."

"Gotcha, Mari," A cheerful voice spoke into Mari's mic.

Avery was squatting on the rooftop of the tallest building in the street, bow slung across her back and long trench coat flowing in the wind. She put a hand on her earpiece and scanned the area before she continued to speak.

"The murder took place in the alley just five blocks away from where your standing."

Mari looked up and faced the direction of the alley Avery had mentioned. The area itself had a dark and menacing aura surrounding it. It made her wonder why people still walked passed it. She figured that it was because the crime had been done and recorded in silence, not to mention that it happened in the deepest part of the alley.

Truthfully, Mari wasn't a morning person. She'd be rather be seated in her apartment's sofa with a cup of warm Milo in her hands while the early morning soap opera played on her little television. She could already imagine herself lying lazily on that purple couch with her phone glued to her hands.

But when Mari received a text from ANIMA about a hunting mission for her and Avery, all those thoughts of comfort were thrown out the window. She had put on her coat and left the apartment with a gun in her pocket.

Which lead to Mari walking the streets of Seoul in what she thought was the hottest time of the day. All to hunt those damn monsters. Still, she wore her trench coat and beanie. She didn't want to hunt without style.

"A woman, raped and killed, entrails out and a red star carved onto her abdomen," Avery groaned loudly. "Ugh. Just saying all this makes me sick."

Red star. It was a logo Mari had never encountered before. She wondered if it there was a new gang rising in Seoul. Hopefully not, the hunter thought, there were more than enough of those monsters around the city.

"That's how they are," Mari hissed loudly, venom dripping from her voice. "They're merciless. They'd do anything to satisfy their hunger."

"Mari," Avery sighed, her tone sharp.

Heeding her warning, Mari took deep breaths until she felt herself calm down.