Chapter 1: New Recruit

Krispy Kreme's door creaked as Mari stepped outside, the cold air hitting her cheeks

Krispy Kreme's door creaked as Mari stepped outside, the cold air hitting her cheeks. She stood in front of the donut shop for a moment and scanned the area. Various people walked, the sound of clicking heels and squeaking sneakers filling her ears. A teenage boy in a beanie and a pair of roller skates passed by.

The city of Caelum was always busy. Mari couldn't remember a single day that passed where the streets weren't filled with noisy kids or busy businessmen. It was surprising, honestly, that the demons would target a huge bustling city instead of a quiet province in the middle of nowhere.

Mari thought about her first day in Caelum. It was quite a culture to suddenly be surrounded by complete strangers and tall buildings— especially because the air here was so much cleaner than where she came from. She reached towards her golden star necklace and grabbed it.

"You're so boring," Avery shook her head as she bit into her New York Cheesecake donut. "Original glazed is no fun."

Mari rolled her eyes and waved the glazed donut in front of Avery's disgusted face. "I like keeping things simple."

"I know that but you have to try something else!," Avery argued as crumbs of donut flew from her mouth. "You've been eating original glazed since the first time we ordered."

"And I'm planning to keep it that way," Mari shrugged and bit into the donut, its sugary sweetness tingling her taste busts.

Avery grunted at Mari's words and huffed, her sugar coated lips forming a pout. Shaking her head, the elder of the two crumpled the now empty Krispy Kreme plastic bag and tossed it into a trash can resting next to a tall green lamp pole.

"You get a different flavor every time. I'm surprised you haven't tried all of it yet," Mari reached into her bag and grabbed a small bottle of alcohol. "Don't you have a favorite?"

Avery licked the cream off her lips and smiled. Bread crumbs were stuck in between some of her teeth. "What's the use of them having all these flavors if you don't try them all?"

"Hm, you do have a point," Mari sprayed some alcohol on her hands and rubbed them together. "But do you really have to buy that much donuts?"

Avery looked down at the bag of dozen donuts in her other hand. "What? This is for everyone!"

"Sure," Mari laughed and shook her head. She paused when they reached a familiar alley. "Avery, wait."

Avery nodded and continued to chew on her donut silently. Sugar dust coated her cheeks and lips.

Mari glanced carefully glanced around the streets. She hovered her hand over the handgun hidden under her jacket. A suited man on his phone passed by, followed by an old woman walking her Chihuahua.