prologue

Poe furrowed his eyebrows as he made his way to the medical bay. It had been-yet another- unsuccessful mission, and rather than mulling over the team's incompetent strategy of defeating The First Order, he preferred to make another visit to Finn.

Finn, who he had met less than a month ago and already trusted with his life.

Finn, who had left everything he had ever known to help Poe, the enemy, escape the clutches of the First Order and as a result, had been thought dead until very recently.

So recently in fact, that Poe hadn't even had a proper chance to ask the ex-stormtrooper any of the numerous questions plaguing his mind. The moment they returned from the Battle of Star Killer Base, Finn had been whisked off on a stretcher- what in the stars had he been thinking, going against Kylo Ren like that- and all cries of celebration had died on Poe's lips at the sight.

Doctor Kalonia gave Poe a sad smile as he entered, his presence in the med-bay a familiar one. She shook her head and sighed, causing him to do so as well.

Still no change.

"Hey, buddy," Poe whispered softly and sat down on the reserved chair at Finn's bedside. "Rey left today." He paused, biting his lip. "She came by to see you off, torn she had to leave you. Which, I am sure you already know- that is if we can believe the good doctor when she says you can hear us." He heard Kalonia huff from her place at the desk and chuckled softly to himself before turning his attention back to Finn.

Ever since his duel with Ren that forced him to enter the coma, most days were like this. Poe would ramble to him about Force-knows what, and would only leave when he was kicked out at the end of the day by Kalonia or called in by the General for a debriefing of some sort. There was a war raging after all, and as much as he would have wanted, Poe couldn't spend all of his time with an unconscious Finn.

"You're a hero, Finn, you know that right?" Poe couldn't stop himself from reaching out and softly setting his fingers over the other man's. "Everyone is praising what you did back there, you saved all of us. Rey, the Resistance, everyone." He cracked a small smile, "And of course we can't forget you breaking out the Resistance's best pilot. That counts a lot in my book."

As always, there was no response.

"Rest up, buddy," Poe spoke quietly. Before he could think better of it, he leaned forward and pressed a tentative kiss on Finn's forehead.

"I'll be here when you wake up."

Author's Note- Please Read!!!

First off, I just want to thank all of you so much for reading this in the first place! It really means a lot so thank you :)

Timeline-wise I am still working that out. This was written back in 2017 and as you could tell, takes place right after The Force Awakens ends and before the events of The Last Jedi. I think that is probably where this is going to go where this is basically just a loose retelling of the sequel trilogy had finnpoe been a couple (like they very well should have been).

How does that sound? If there is anything you would like to be specifically included, let me know! I am open to ideas and would love to hear from you. I have been a star wars fan for literally ever but have never written real fic for it so I am very excited but also nervous so help and support would mean a lot.

Anyways, that's all I have for now. I hope to have the first chapter out soon!

May the force be with you!