Chapter 07

It was impossible to calculate the time in the cell. There were no windows, and no noise, nothing that would indicate to the time of day or night. Lorena was tempted to speak with Murtagh but did not want to be over heard nor did she know what to say. Instead she took Murtagh's earlier advice. She closed her eyes and pictured her and Murtagh trekking through the Beor Mountains, happening upon hidden wonders.

* * *

Murtagh and Lorena sat on a ledge overlooking green valley's when she heard an odd scraping noise. Lorena squeezed her eyes shut, and lifted Murtagh's hand to her lips. No, she whispered. Lorena opened her eyes and looked upon a tiled ceiling. Three pairs of footsteps began to descend the stairs. The metal gate clattered open, then the footsteps continued. A carved wooden chair was set down beside Murtagh, and on it sat the King. A Twin stood beside him while his brother made his way to the brazier, which still glowed hot.

"Murtagh," Galbatorix leaned back in his chair, his composure calm and confident, "tell me what has happened since you left Urû'baen." Lorena watched him out of the corner of her eye, she knew Murtagh would not willingly tell Galbatorix anything, and she knew that Galbatorix also knew that. He was playing with him. A cat who has caught a mouse, allow it to run before again pouncing on it.

As expected Murtagh remained quiet. The only noise in the room emanated from the scraping of the irons in the brazier. Galbatorix cleared his throat, and looked expectantly at the twin. He turned, hot iron in hand, and the process began all over again. Galbatorix would ask what had happened since Murtagh left Urû'baen, Murtagh ignored him, and he would be kissed by the iron. They swapped between the two victims, as they had done before but this time there was no soothing voice explaining why this was happening to them. Eventually as Galbatorix asked what happened Murtagh began to shout no, his voice hoarse. Lorena restrained herself from joining him. She knew that Galbatorix had no interest in what she had to say, this was all about Murtagh. When they stopped for the day Galbatorix was in a dark mood, the very air around him seemed to densen. He stood and left, without saying a word, the twins followed quickly behind him, slamming the door and leaving the two alone.

A gurgling laugh escaped Lorena's lips. To her surprise Murtagh's voice joined hers. Their bodies burned, ached, and screamed at them but that did not seem to matter at this moment in time. Their laugh was so out of place she thought that they must be going mad.

* * *

When Galbatorix next visited them he came alone. The King stood beside Murtagh's slab silently, before reaching down and snapping the manacles loose. Murtagh paused, then slowly rose watching the King warily. Galbatorix helped him to his feet before escorting him out of the cell. The door closed behind them, then the scrape of the bolt.

Utter panic set in. Lorena cried out and pulled against her manacles. She looked toward the stairs thinking it must be a trick, that Murtagh must still be here. But she was alone, and Murtagh was gone. Lorena lay against the cool slab feeling terrified and useless. Tears seeped from the corners of her eyes and before she knew it she was sobbing.

"Where are you?" she cried desperately.

* * *

Lorena's body clenched when she heard the scrape of the bolt. Two pairs of footsteps descended the stairs. When Murtagh appeared at the corner of her vision Lorena released a breath she didn't know she was holding. The King appeared beside him and without a word helped him back onto the slab, before securing the manacles and leaving.

"Murtagh!" Lorena cried once the door closed. "Are you okay? What happened?"

"I'm fine." Murtagh seemed distant, as if in a daze. "He took me to see his dragon eggs."