Lucille

After a long day at the studio, there's only one thing I want to do. Relax.

I submerged myself into the bathtub full of steaming hot water. My favorite playlist was playing through the speakers of my Bluetooth speakers. I finger combed my hair, playing with the little matted pieces at the nape.

I really should start taking better care of my hair. I haven't gotten my hair professionally done since I left Texas. I would never admit that out loud though. I couldn't trust just anyone with my hair though, which made it even more difficult.

Code Blue started playing through the speakers making me forget all about hair. I don't know why I kept this song on my playlist, or why I added it in the first place. It always put me in a gloomy mood.

The lyrics remind me so much of him. They shouldn't but they do. I'm still upset about how things ended. Some days I feel like a part of me died in Texas. But I know I'm just being dramatic.

At least he seems happy now. I think he and Anne Katherine worked things out. Maybe that's for the better.

I reached over and grabbed my cell phone to skip the song but when the screen came on I saw several email notifications. They were from one of my trusted sources.

The subject line read Murphy/Reed Bipartisan Ticket.

I clicked to open and read more. Pundits on other networks had been speculating over the last few days but I didn't entertain the idea. I didn't even discuss it on my show. It was painful enough having to think about Oliver every night when I got home alone but now when this story breaks I'll have to cover it for at least a full news cycle.

I started reading the email.

Sources close to Murphy have confirmed that a meeting will be happening soon with a possible candidate for Vice President. I did some digging and found that Murphy's office has been in contact with the office of the governor of Texas. Enter Oliver Reed, making this a bipartisan ticket. You have to break this story as soon as possible. This information is good and true, I'd bet my life on it.

- J.R.

I cut my relaxing bath short and decided to follow up with a few other people before accepting this as true. All my sources confirmed the same thing.

I had one more source to contact before I could know for sure. First thing tomorrow morning, that would be my top priority.

If Oliver came to D.C. my life would be turned upside down. Maybe in a good way, but maybe in a bad way. So I had to be prepared for the unexpected.

I braided my hair and dressed for bed. I tried falling asleep for hours. But I just lie there in bed, toying with the pendant in my neck. It always comforted me in times of stress. In this situation, maybe I was overreacting but maybe not.

I leaned over and grabbed my phone from the night stand. It was after 3 AM but that didn't stop me. I scrolled through my contact list until I found the number. I prayed the number still worked.

After 3 rings I was ready to hang up but a raspy voice came through the speaker.

"Hello", he repeated.

"Oliver, umm", I took a long pause. "It's—"

"Lucille?", he questioned. I could hear movement on the other end of the line.

I hadn't called him in 3 years to even say hello or check on him. I was being selfish.

"I'm sorry, this was a mistake", I said. I ended the phone call.

Much to my dismay, my phone rang seconds later.

I answered but didn't say anything.

"Lucille are you okay?", he asked. His voice was much clearer now.

"I'm fine."

"We haven't spoken in 3 years", he said. "Why tonight of all nights? At 3 AM?"

"Umm", I tried to think of something to say.

"Just say it", he said.

"Are you joining Murphy's ticket?" I blurted out.

"Are you asking as Lucille or as LBJ?", he asked.

"Does it matter?"

"If I'm speaking to LBJ, the answer is no but if I'm speaking to Lucille it depends."

"On?"

"You're still the most trustworthy person in my corner and I know you wouldn't steer me in the wrong direction", he said. "That is, if you're still in my corner", he said reluctantly. "So it depends on whether or not you, Lucille, think I should accept the offer."

"Lucille will always be in your corner", I paused.

Why was I running from this man? His voice alone made me feel— safe. Who am I to stop America from experiencing all that Oliver Reed has to offer.

"You have to accept Murphy's offer. You'll make history with this bipartisan ticket. You can't miss out on that. I won't let you."

"That's good to hear, Lucille."

My hand now lied flat against my chest, over the pendant and over my heart which was beating at record speed.

"So can LBJ break this story?"

"I'd be disappointed if she didn't", he admitted.

I could hear in his voice that he was smiling.

That made me smile too. And just like that, I was mush. Once again.

There was a long silence and just the sound of his breathing was enough to send me into a trance.

"I better let you get to bed. Sources say you have a big day coming up."

"Sources would be right", he answered.

"Goodnight Mr. Reed."

"Goodnight LBJ."

I pressed the end button without even thinking about it. Because if I didn't end the call right away, we would've both just sat on the phone listening to each other breathe. I was already missing the company of his voice.

Mush, I tell you.

Mush.