Chapter 39

Mya POV

I let a tear fall down my cheek. Cameron watches me and I can tell how much seeing me like this bothers him.

"Sir, please put the gun down." One of the officers say.

"No."

I see Cameron running toward us and I hear a gunshot.

Everything after that moves in slow motion between Cameron hitting the ground and the cops putting Marcus in handcuffs.

I drop to the ground to be near Cameron and I see the wound to his abdomen.

"Cameron, please be okay." I whisper in his ear and I see an ambulance pull up.

They place him on the stretcher and I get in the back of the ambulance with him.

"Cameron stay with me."

He looks like he's in so much pain and he shuts his eyes tight when the EMT worker applies pressure to the wound.

When we arrive at the hospital they immediately take him into surgery and I have to wait in the waiting room.

This is usually the part when I'm supposed to call someone to calm me down, but I don't want to.

Right now, I just want to be alone. I cry for what seems like hours because I couldn't help but blame myself.

Two hours later...

"Mya Howard." I hear someone call me and I turn around to see a surgeon.

"Yes doctor? How is Cameron?"

"He is stable and he woke up asking about you. We were able to successfully remove the bullet from him abdomen."

"So can I go see him?"

"Follow me."

The doctor leads me to the hospital room that Cameron is in before leaving.

I stand away from the bed at first because I don't want to mess up anything.

"Princess, come over here." He says in a raspy voice.

I know he's hurt but his raspy voice is sexy. I begin walking over to the bed like he told me.

"Cameron, are you okay? I'm so sorry. I didn't want you to get hurt and I just feel so bad and-" Cameron shuts me up by kissing me.

"It's not your fault okay? And I'm fine. I did what I felt I had to do to protect you."

"Cameron I was so worried about you out there."

"Well don't worry baby, I'm a little beat but I'm fine, I promise." He kisses me again and this time we hear the door open.

We both look up to see Susan standing there in shock. I try to back away but Cameron pulls me closer.

"So this is what you've been doing while I was gone? You've been screwing the babysitter?"

"Susan, how can I help you? What are you doing here?" Cameron says nonchalantly with his arm still around my waist.

At this moment, I had two choices. I either play the uncomfortable young girl role standing by a married man with his wife standing there, or I can be confident and secure in our relationship.

Instead of looking down as I planned to, I met eyes with Susan and stood there like I was the shit.

Of course inside I felt like shit because I knew this whole thing was wrong, but I refused to show it. It was too late now because we had both fallen in love.