💫Keen 💫

Enter Mrs. Lawrence-Elroy

    "Hey Keen, Do you mind turning down your music? Jackie is studying for her test." The woman asked in an almost docile manner.

    The boy nods absent-mindedly, barely turning away from the computer screen, and turned down the almost deafening volume. Leanna Lawrence-Elroy, also known as 'Ma', stared at her stepson with a concerned look. Though she was once worried she would become the archetypal evil stepmother, she and Keen had for the most part always gotten along. Even when she had remarried his father and had a child of their own, Keen who was only three years old at the time, never treated her as anything other than his mother. And to him, that was all she was. A mother, simply not by blood. All the same Mrs. Lawrence-Elroy knew the way the cards fell was unfair. As she was pondering this, at some point the boy had turned around, and began snapping his fingers to wake her from her trance.

    " Ma, you know I don't mind you hanging around but your staring is starting to freak me out." he quipped smugly.

Her less than amused expression gave away her reason for loitering

His smirk dissipated.

    " Let me guess, He called for a status report." He mumbles.

    " Honey" she tried softly. "You know that's not why he calls, he's just concerned about your future."

He interjected.

    " Concerned? Really? Before or after I quote, 'started showing signs of becoming a potential threat to his life's work'?" He sneered.

    " To his defense, you had just started hanging out with a different group of kids, and some of them were worrisome..." she started.

    For a split second, it resembled calm.

    " Leave my friends out of it." He interrupted, angered by the memory and her remark.

He had been nine. He asked for a skateboard. News flash, he did not receive the skateboard.

    He sighed deeply. Inhales. Exhales.

She rubbed her temple. A migraine on the horizon.

"What did you tell him?" much calmer after ridding himself of the aggravating thought.

" There wasn't much to tell, he had already seen your report card." She said hollowly.

He sighed again and visibly sagged.

" I already said I'm working on it." He said while avoiding eye-contact.

Her turn to sigh.

"For your sake and my sanity, I sure hope you are." She chuckled half-heartedly.

silence ensued.

"Well, I better check up on Jac, good night Keen" She said as she turned to leave the doorway.

"Yeah goodnight, tell Jackie not to stay up too late." He returned to the computer screen.

She smiled genuinely and giggled.

"I know that young man!" She said as rolling her eyes. "Sometimes I wonder who's the parent here."

She is met with silence.

As she makes her way down the winding stairway of the three-story home, she hears the volume of the music rise back to its previously earsplitting volume.

She snorts.

"Obviously, the parent is not I." She continues to meander down the steps.

Exit Mrs. Lawrence-Elroy.

As his step mother leaves the room he shoots a quick text to his group message:
Trash Heap
Keeny-boi: Meet @ 6, B.M.

End of Act I, Scene II

Oi!! Yo guys, its Squid again, I hope you enjoyed Act I Scene II of While at the Boba Manor. I really hope you enjoyed it and because I have sooo much more planned.😈😈😈 Ps. It's the holiday season so comment what you're celebrating this year. Anywho, bye bye boos.
Squid 👻