2

One month later...

The days went by and my thoughts were consumed with what my might-been husband's name was.

Just kidding, I forgot all about him the next day. 

In reality, my thoughts were focused on various college assignments that left me in tears at the bottom of a coffee pot. 

When I wasn't drowning my sorrows in caffeine, I was in and out clubs and classrooms. 

And when I wasn't doing that, I was face down on my pillow. 

As you can see, I've had no time to think of whatshisface and his silly little name.

Tonight I had another lovely dinner with my parents. I was thrilled to hear their concerns about my love life once again. My mom believes that if she prods me enough it'll happen. I personally don't think it works that way.

I really needed to work on my research paper due at midnight. I was almost done, and by almost I mean I haven't started it.

I texted my friend Clarrisa, who shares that dreaded class with me, about the research paper from hell and how I'm going to fail because of my mom and her prodding ways.

She texted me back that I had two weeks to do it and shouldn't have waited til the night of.

I should've known better. Never complain about assignments you procrastinated on to a person who doesn't know the definition of procrastination, or laziness for that matter.

Clarrisa is my best friend and I would do anything for her, but she's one of those students. You know, the ones that actually enjoys studying and starting their assignments the second she receives the paper.

Knowing her, she finished this assignment last week.

Sometimes she rubs off on me and I get my work done ahead of time. Other times, I get tired for her and decide to take a nap due to amount of work she did.

I walked to the door and put on my boots that were starting to get a hole in the bottom in them. I've had them since high school, so some of the leather is scuffed and falling off but they're my babies. I could never part from them.

It's time to go see my dad and the prod- I mean mom.

This will be fun.

By the time I got to the restaurant I had come up with multiple excuses to get of dinner. One included an emergency of a flash sale that I couldn't miss. My mom is a shopaholic and would understand the urgency of it.

Of course I could mention the research paper, but knowing them it will be another lecture like the one I received from Clarrisa.

No one understands the struggles of procrastinators.

I was walking towards the restaurant, counting the steps to the door, seeing the top of my mom's hair through the glass. So lost in thought that I barely recognized who was walking past me.

Barely, but I did.

"So you're really going to show your face after you publicly humiliated me in front of everyone?" I asked him, face serious and voice serious as well, with a hint of shock and incredulously that I mastered from my mom.

He jumped. I mean, feet off the ground, hands up in defense jumped. I would have laughed if I wasn't interested in keeping my facade.

"Well," I deadpanned, "are you going to explain yourself?"

He swallowed and opened his mouth, no words coming out. He looked like he would rather be anywhere other than here.

Rude.