Can't Turn Back Now

After a few hours of anticipation and awkward silence, you were there. The taxi driver gives you one last, heartfelt, four-word reply; "Fee, please. Sixteen dollars." You slap the money in his hand, and leave. The second you step out, you're immediately assaulted by both blazing heat and freezing cold air.

Your brother looks up to you, seeming clueless as to where he was. "Should I take my jacket off or take yours?" 

"I got this." You took your jacket and pulled it halfway off, exposing only your shoulders. (B/N) gives you a thumbs up, mimicking you and showing off his shirt sleeves. You look over your surroundings. The view almost makes up for the awful weather; a stone pathway led up to the two parallel mountains, smoke coming from one and condensation from the other. You hear the winds from both sides howling in perfect sync, and in the distance, bickering. Your brother pipes up to say something, but you hush him quickly. "Shh. This could be important."

You couldn't hear everything clearly, but you could make out two voices and a few sentences.

"Are those elves? Oh, please, no more elves."

"If they are, maybe try not to kill them this time!"

(B/N) turns to you, a look of violent discomfort on his face. "Is it too late to turn arou..." He stopped talking once he saw you sardonically nod. He sighs and says, "Where are you going first?"

"To be honest, I just want to get away from the freezing weather." Your brother looked at the smoky mountain, giving you a thumbs up. He ran to the icy mountain with zeal while you trudged along, thinking about what the driver had said. Who were the Miser Brothers? Why was he so reluctant to bring us there?  You hoped that this suspiciously-similar-to-a-volcano mountain would answer some questions. You started noticing more and more little droplets of lava threateningly decorate the path. As you approached the mountain, looking more carefully, you noticed a giant door align perfectly with the path. 

You peeked inside, and were immediately greeted with the sight of three tiny men, all identical; red, upward pointed hair, button noses, glittery golden jumpsuits, and the same look of utter disinterest on each of their faces.

The mysterious voices were back.

"Wha-?? One of them's trying to get in my house!"

"Mine too! Is this some sort of robbery?"

"I'll stop 'er. Hold on."

You sat in complete silence, your breaths slow and quiet. You had the ominous feeling that those voices were talking about you.

You simply sat there, fully expecting someone horrifying, tall, and villainous to stab you while your back was turned. You stood for a few more seconds. There were no more voices, no more sounds of snow crunching as (B/N) ran, just silence.

The silence was abruptly broken by the sound of a loud thud behind you. The owner of the volcanic palace was undoubtedly here to kill you. You refused to turn around, afraid of what that man could look like.

Is this what hell is like?

"Hey! You!" the man shouted. It was, in fact, the owner of the palace. Surprisingly, it was the softer of the two voices that you heard that stood before you. You came to a conclusion; you couldn't just stand there, facing the door forever. You took a shaky breath and shut your eyes, stepping to face him.

As you opened your eyes, the being that you thought would be standing in front of you was extremely far off from the one who really showed up. He looked similar to the tiny men inside the mountain, but much taller. He looked at least a foot taller than you. His hair was similar to theirs, but much more fiery and unkempt. He looked you up and down, finally making eye contact. He looked very unfriendly; his arms were crossed, his foot tapped impatiently, and his lips were pulled into a scowl, still glaring. He was much less scary than you imagined, but he still... intimidated you.

"So?" he continued. You snapped back into what was really happening; you got caught nearly breaking into someone's home, and they're standing right in front of you. This is probably the worst way you could've spent the morning of Christmas Eve. Should I run? Fight? Apologize profusely? Logically, there was no way you could win a fight against him. He looked much bigger and stronger than you, and you were already afraid of him. You couldn't run either--you had no way to get home.

You decided to apologize. "Sir, I'm so sorry! I was concerned about the weather in Southtown, and I figured I'd come here. I've lived there for years, and..." You looked up at the man again. His eyes widened at the mention of Southtown.

"That's it! Oh, that makes so much more sense now. Come in, I can explain everything." He walked past you, and opened the door again, holding it for you.