shades of blue

Blue and Will had known each other much, much longer than Will had expected. Or at least, he assumed this was true. Blue hadn't come right out that night and said that his story was something more than fictional, but he hadn't needed to. Will could tell in the way that Blue had spoken, his voice twisted in melancholy like he was speaking of an old friend he'd lost long ago. In reality, it hadn't been all that long ago that Blue had 'lost' his best friend. Only a couple mornings after the night Will and Blue had spent tucked inside of their blanket fort, Will Byers' third week home came to a close. It really hadn't felt all that long to him, particularly because he'd been off of school for the majority of it.

After he has gone back to school and slowly started to integrate himself back into his classes, the days quickly began to drag on a bit longer, but Will still found that he was drifting through his days and through the bustling crowds of students like a phantom. He didn't feel like he was truly there, his mind entirely occupied with anything but his schoolwork. Though part of him was becoming increasingly more tolerant of his lack of memory, his irritation seemed to stick to him like drying cement. Even if he was learning to be okay with it, that didn't mean that everyone else was.

It was that which was haunting him.

Will was in search of confirmation, and that early Saturday morning, he intended to get it. He had roused himself from bed not too long after ten that morning, a rather lengthy sleep that almost made him, in turn, want to climb right back into bed and remain there. He pressed himself a bit further, however, and with enough effort, Will swung his legs out of bed and dropped his feet gently to his bedroom floor, instinctively yanking his toes from the cool wood for only a single shocked second before letting them fall again. The mid morning sunlight broke through a small gap in his bedroom curtains, and he passed through the rays of light briefly as he approached the small wooden desk that sat on the farthest side of his room from the doorway. The workspace was a bit of a mess, swarmed with papers full of half-drawn figures and crayons that hadn't yet been placed back into their box. Will was still half asleep, yet: not quite ready to be creative, but it wasn't art supplies he was looking for.

Stepping up to the table's edge, Will let out a soft yawn as he tucked a few light brown hair behind his ear. With his free hand, he reached across the mess and wrapped his fingers around a weighted black box, twisting it around in his hand so that he could see the dark grey and red buttons programmed into it's face: his walkie talkie. Lucas had mentioned the Supercom in passing one day that week, when they had all sat crowded around a pale grey lunch table, gnawing peacefully at their food. Lucas seemed to be the closest to Will's home, aside from Dustin, leaving Blue to be the farthest from him.

Lucas had said, with a warm glint in his eyes, that Will could give him a buzz any time he wanted to talk, stating that the two of them may as well take advantage of the brief distance between them. This statement, though said briefly and discarded just as quick as the blink of an eye, sat with Will, and he felt like, if he could ask what he needed to ask to anyone, the most likely to answer him would be Lucas.

To Will's excitement and possible disdain, Lucas' voice broke through the other side of the Supercom mere moments after Will had muttered a half hearted 'you there?' into the open channel. Will imagined Lucas must have been sitting right next to it when he had buzzed in, or otherwise he was just really excited to hear the boy's voice. Either way, the sudden realization that he was going through with what needed to be done sent Will into a deadly silence, seated on the edge of his bed with his walkie clutched tightly in his hand like a statue. Will remained like this for several seconds before Lucas' voice erupted from the small speaker piece once more.

"Will? You there? Over."

Pushing his shoulders back a bit as though taking a stretch might help him, Will pressed his thumb down on the 'talk' button and raised the mic a couple inches from his lips.