Archive Log: 19

"This place goes on forever." Exploring the corridors of the Covenant was perhaps unwise, even more so considering they had all been in orbit for little less than thirty minutes. It was only an unwise decision because honestly, none of them truly realised how big this place was, until they were on it. "Where do you think this even leads to?" Faris piped up again while shifting from foot to foot. She had been the one to firstly bring exploring up properly. The men, well, mainly Oram and Jacob were still back in the bridge. In part, everyone had splintered off to discover new parts of the ship that may or may not have been included on the schematics they were sent.

"...Cargo bay?" Daniels questioned in turn, sounding confused. To be honest, no one had memorised the maps and layout of the ship. Though at a time like this it probably would've been helpful to know what corridors led to where, exactly.

Already in their travels they had stumbled across rooms used to hold meetings, other than the bridge. Obviously these rooms would be used for the other occupants, they would need to be woken up before reaching their destination. As such, everyone was going to need places to hang out and naturally get out of the way of others. There was going to be an overcrowding problem for a little bit. But everyone would manage, they'd need to.

The med-bay had been second to be discovered, the vast stretching white clinical space was by far the most advanced thing ever. Even hospitals on Earth couldn't compete, everything here was so advanced, so state of the art, the best equipment for this time and age. Nothing else like the space here existed anywhere else. It was one of a kind, and it was theirs, for if and when they needed it. Hopefully the first than the latter.

The corridor they were walking down did seem to go on forever, and it seemed to eventually lead to the space where all their hypersleep chambers were situated. A small space, cosy in fact. Each chamber was closely next to another. They walked about looking down at the pods which they would soon be in. This room wasn't dwelt in for long, the colonist room was looked at with wide eyes before backtracking.

Everything was so daunting, and it got more so when the nearest window showed the view of space; dark, broken up with white stars, cold looking and silent. In the distance was Earth, not quite a dot on the non-existing horizon, but thereabouts. Space stations orbited closely to the planet, in passing these radioed in, mundane transmissions if anything. Some, most, being Weyland-Yutani owned were radioing in to wish luck, and to run last minute checks with the ship.

After all, once out of transmission range, the Covenant was on its own. These stations supplied a one last chance to refuel, restock, socialise with those which weren't going to be on this vessel. But they had no reason to stop, the large ship cruised by, replying politely to the transmissions and then that was it. Transmission end.

There was a steady thrum of the engines as the ship continued to glide slowly through space. The daunting feeling of finally being here, and everything that was on here, had sunk in and gone; replaced by realism and a loss. A loss mainly because, well, what does one do now they're onboard a multi-million colony spacecraft?

As yet, there were no tasks which needed to be done. Nothing. Everyone had done enough socialising with each other for a lifetime, that right now, everyone was pretty much all chatted out. Even Tennessee, who honestly seemed to have a quip, or a topic of conversation for every occasion. But, even he was content enough to sit in silence in the pilot seat. Every so often he'd lean back, the axis allowing him to recline. He'd stretch his legs out, rest his hands on the arms of the chair and just stare at the screens around him. It was like he was surveying the land.

Looking at the hologram present on the table, Walter looked up confused. It was so silent. He thought that having the crew back, there'd be noise. He was so used to silence. He was making the last checks of their journey leaving Earth orbit, well, radius of what was considered its orbit. All was well, Walter guessed that suddenly having nothing to do was not settling with the crew.

Onora leaned against him, her elbows on the table, eyes looking blandly at the blue green hologram in front of her. It was mainly Earth, and a dotted path of what course the Covenant had taken so far. The space stations they passed where present on the map too, motionless really just there as a sort of landmark. He looked down at her for a few moments, she clearly sensed him and looked up with a smile. She hadn't exactly left his side since reuniting, which really did cement more to Walter that he was missed. In all fairness, the other couples were either sitting together, or back in their rooms.

With the sudden yawn that came from Onora, Walter was guessing that she would be better off there too. He removed his hands from the controls on the table and turned idly to her. Onora perked up confused, he simply turned and nodded to the side. She looked around a little miffed before trotting forwards with him beside her.

Walter easily led the way, knowing these corridors off by heart, he could get to her room with his eyes shut. She, however, seemed to still be clueless about where she was going. And it wasn't until the door opened and Walter walked in with her behind him, that it kicked in.

"Walter, are you trying to get me alone?"

Walter double took, his eyes widened as the door slid shut with a quiet whooshing noise and Onora stood there with her arms behind her back, smirk in place. The smirk stayed for a moment before a grin appeared and she burst out laughing. "I am concerned that you have not been sleeping sufficiently." He said through her laughter, he frowned, trying to be serious.

Onora sighed, she walked past him, patting his arm gently as she made her way around him and towards the large window in the room. There was a seat present, like a little nook, someone could sit and just watch space go past. Though the view wasn't really changing all too much. She sat down, and looked at him, Walter got the hint and walked over and sat down on the opposite end. The space wasn't that much between them, a few inches were between where their legs rested. "I haven't. Not really." Onora didn't even see the point of lying, he'd be able to tell she was.

"Why?" Walter asked interestedly, Onora flicked her eyes to him then back outside. She leaned her head against the window and remained silent, clearly thinking over a reply. Walter shifted in his seat, "Are you unwell?" He didn't know what else to go for. Evidently she wasn't, or else she wouldn't be here.

Onora smiled and shook her head. "No. No, I'm fine, Walter. Just...can I be honest with you?" Walter nodded, "Scared. I've been scared. Worried, might be more accurate. About coming out here, to this," she gestured to the window and the darkness beyond. "What's out there scares me. It's unknown, Walter. And the unknown frightens me. I honestly do still think that I am the wrong person to have been asked to come here."

Walter nodded, he understood her trepidation. "Do not think you are the only one with these thoughts." She looked at him curiously. Walter smiled softly, "There is a lot riding on this." He looked outside, he sighed and leaned back against the wall behind him. "But do not sell yourself short. You're smart, and stronger than I think you realise." Walter turned his face to look back to her to see her smiling widely at him.

"I have missed your roundabout compliments, Walter." Onora stated while scooting up the seat. Walter held his arms up and looked down at her strangely. She was fidgeting about and seemed to be curling up in his lap. She leaned back against the window, turning her back on the cold, dark space behind her. Her legs curled up against his as he pulled them up to stretch on the seat. Without her sitting opposite, his legs had free reign to take over the cushions. Onora yawned as she tucked her head under his, Walter leaned his chin against her hair and curled his arms slowly around her as her hands took to gripping onto his dark top. She had only been in his lap a matter of moments before he realised she had drifted off to sleep. Walter had no reason to move, so he would sit, and hold her until she woke. Or until they were needed, but he doubted very much that would be any time soon.

----

(A/N: Because I'm still here loitering and wanted to update something else. Happy holidays!)