Blood Part One

I quickly ran through the deserted streets dodging cars and breathing harder every step. I had to find both of them. The church is where they would most likely be. I got to the shop down the road from the church and stopped. Where had everyone gone?

I looked through the glass door and opened it. I opened the door and the bell dinged. I had always hated that noise and now I really hated it. There was a moan from the back of the store.

“Hello?” I asked and I heard the sound of pacing and products falling off the shelf.

I looked too where the noise was coming from. A man was sprinting toward me tripping over the food and other supplies on the floor. Blood dripped from its mouth and its left arm was gone. It was a zombie and it was running straight for me. I took off turning straight into another zombie.

I screamed and tried to dodge past, but fell as the zombie grabbed my hair. I screamed again as more zombies start to crowd around me. One zombie in casual clothing tried to grab for me but a knife was shoved through the women’s skull. A boy about my age grabbed my arm and yanked me up.

“Are you bit?” He asked as his friend kept fending off zombies.

“Bit?”  I asked.

“Yes.” He rolled his eyes and started to pat me down.

“Hey no!” I yelled.

“Felix, come on!” The boy yelled to his zombie fighting friend and grabbed my wrist and ran.

“Wait I have to get to my church!” I yelled.

“No one is there we clear about three people out of the pastor‘s office.” I kept running with the two guys until a big building came into sight.

A large fence surrounded the building.

“Thomas open up!”

The fence started rolling the opposite way and we slipped in. The gate closed behind us.

“I have to check the whole church.”  I grabbed the man’s shirt.

“No it’s too dangerous.”

“You want me to get the others, Jed?” Felix asked.

“Yeah.” We waited a few minuets and Sarah came running out.

Sarah was a small girl compared to her crush David a big man and tough. Isaac was more like me tall and slender. I missed them all. Now I only had to find my mom and some of my other friends. Kris and Lilly had to be in there somewhere.

“Ashley!!!!” She put her arms around me. “What is happening out there?”

“I don’t know.” I hugged her back. “Who else is here?”

“David and Isaac.” She said pulling back.

“Wendy’s.” David stomped in followed by Isaac.

I hugged him.

“It’s good to see you guys.”

“Ashley… can I talk to you?” Isaac asked looking at Sarah and David.

“Of course.” I followed him to a corner of one room in the building.

“I need to tell you something.” He whispered looking at the ground.

“What?” I didn’t know what he meant.

“Your mother was bitten.” His eyes met mine just as my knees hit the floor.

He knelt on the ground.

“No, no, no, no, no.” I began to cry and he put his arm around me.

“I’m so sorry.”

I cried into his shirt. I couldn’t think my head was burning. I begged God he was wrong. I couldn’t believe this. My mother gone and my father missing.

“Hey, it looks like you have had a rough day you wanna get some sleep we have a couple rooms upstairs.” Jed said as gently as he could.

“She could hang out in my room… I don’t think anyone should be alone.”

“Listen buddy it is perfectly safe here.”

I stood up. “Got any weapons?”

I wiped a tear from my face.

“Yeah but why?” Jed crossed his arms over his chest.

“I’m clearing that whole church.”

“That is too risky.”

“I don’t care someone could be alive in there.” I looked at the machete on Jed’s belt and pulled it out of the sheath.

“Hey!” He went to grab my arm but I dodged and swung the blade till the sharp edge was an inch or two from his neck.

“I’m not totally defensive.”

“If you’re going I’ll go to.”

I nodded. What was the worst that could happen besides getting bit and turning?

“But I need my machete.” I handed him the hilt and he led me down the hallway to a door marked armory.

“Pick anything.”

The room was filled with weapons stacked against the wall. This thing had started days ago. It looked like they had planned for this for years. Zombie killers had it all. I picked up a balanced sword and jabbed the air.

I studied the weapons, guns, bombs and swords. Machetes lined the wall next to the cross bows. Next to that was a pile of crates that had the word food spray painted on the front sides. I looked at Jed who was just staring at a sword encased in glass. The end of the sword had dried blood on it and Jed didn’t say anything.

“Jed.”

He jumped like my voice had scared him.

‘Yeah?”  He asked.

I had found a large bladed sword and waved it.

“Ready?” I asked looking at the sword then back at him.